Toronto Filipinos line up to taste Jollibee's

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

When McDonald's opened their first location in the Philippines (downtown Manila at the university belt), there were bus loads from then Clark Air Base and Subic Bay for American military personnel and their families.  Everyone brought home bags for friends who couldn't make the trip.

McGeorge Corp. (George Yang), the franchisee, was afraid his newly trained employees couldn't handle the influx of customers. So they flew-in an entire crew from Hong Kong for the first week.

Saw a Jollibee while driving through Phoenix.  I was tempted to stop, but my wife said, "No." 

When the new Jollibee opened inside Seafood City (Asian grocery store) in a large mall south of Seattle, they did the same thing, staffing the Jollibee with experienced crew members from...somewhere. I don't know where they came from but they all spoke Filipino and seemed Filipino to me (except for the odd ginger). Maybe they were culled from other West Coast outlets.

We had to wait months for the crowds to die down before we ate there. The pull of home is strong.

• Love it 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife and I visited the new Filipino Seafood City in the NW suburbs of Chicago last fall. It came close to being heaven on earth for my wife. First stop was for some Jollibee, then a long extended shopping trip, then wrap up at the food court with many different types of filipino food. Spent over 4 hours there and filled up our coolers with food for the long drive home.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Rant warning:

I see why that sign in the pic may be true.  I stopped in Toledo, Cebu yesterday for breakfast at McDonalds.  They were "out of stock" of EVERYTHING I like to eat there, right up to and including a cup of coffee.  Went next door to Jollibee and got a bacon and egg pancake sandwich (weird and sweet but tasty and good) plus my coffee, plus breakfast for my lady (exactly what she wanted as she only eats at McD's because I like it) and the whole bill was 156 pesos.  It would have been double that for what I would have ordered for the 2 of us a McD's if they had stock.

See that franchised hasn't changed.

I think there is some shrinkage and management needs changed.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/4/2018 at 8:20 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

They were "out of stock" of EVERYTHING I like to eat there,

Funny that. I went to two different Jollibee's here about a week apart and both had no buns to make a burger except the tiny one. Oh and the other day coke was out of stock in Jollibee. 

• Like 1