Long Flights

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, marine6357 said:

I do wonder if taking aspirin before and during the flight would be beneficial to help lower the risks of problems?

I take Ibuprofen during the flight to ease my cramped up muscles and I had the same hopes as you mention.  It works, but at least one study says:

Common Painkillers Tied to Blood Clot Risk: Study

So Aspirin or Ibuprofen may simply mask the symptoms if you have a blood clot forming and not stop it from forming.  I have not had a blood clot yet, but my brother had one in his leg.  Painful and loads of medication for a long time.  Better to walk around but its so hard to do on a 12 hour flight in cattle car, er I mean tourist class.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

When I traveled from uk here I used Singapore Airlines. 12.5 to Singapore, 1 hour layover then 3.5 to Davao. I calculated that leaving house in uk to arriving at house in Marbel totals 28 hours, factoring in taxi and bus journeys and waiting times. Something I don't want to do to often.

All I can add to previous tips is, if in economy, try to get an aisle seat which makes it easier to move around.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, marine6357 said:

I will be making my first visit to the Philippines in September and was hoping to get some tips or tricks to help with long flights. This will be my first time traveling non stop on an airplane of over 7 hours and was wondering how bad can 13 or more hours get? Was thinking of breaking the trip up some to alleviate some of the longer flights. Possible flying thru a different route to get t here. Time is not a factor so making shorter hops and longer overall travel time is not a problem.
Also what is the longest non stop flight you have ever been on?

My wife and I did Los Angeles to Manila non-stop using Philippine Airlines about a year ago (Feb 2017).  Flight time was around 14 hours.  We booked economy class seats and then made the minimum bid for a business class upgrade. Got it!  The price per ticket doubled, but the additional legroom and comfort was worth it.

Both of us wear compression socks for flights lasting more than 3 hours.  They look like white hosiery for women.  The socks are available at larger drugstores.  I also take a toilet break every hour and spend five minutes doing sit ups, twisting my body, and moving my arms inside the confined space.  You don't have to use the toilet.  

Important thing is to remain hydrated.  I take a disposable 32 ounce cup -- something saved after drinking a soda from 7-Eleven or similar convenience store.  Somewhere on the aircraft is a water fountain. If none, ask a flight attendant to refill the cup.  Alcoholic beverages will dehydrate you.  Avoid beer, wine or liquor if possible.  The rough calculation is 8 ounces of water for every flight hour.

My wife chews gum. My preference is candy. The jaw movement relieves ear pressure especially during takeoff and landing. Whenever you hear a baby crying, it is one way they are adjusting to changes in the air pressure.

Upon arrival, relax and recover during the next two days. I order soup for breakfast (arroz caldo) and also for lunch and dinner (Chinese noodle soup).  You will get dehydrated no matter what.  For us, cutting the flying time into two segments does not help. The reason is you remain tense until reaching the final destination.

My longest trip was 26 hours flying time plus hours at various airport waiting areas.  I was zonked.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have always enjoyed air travel - I could happily spend a couple years living out of airports.  Yes... it is an illness ha ha

I think my longest flight would be Dallas to Seoul. My preferred Dallas/PI route is DFW/INC/CEB (or MNL if I have to).  Over the years the flight has gotten shorter, but it is still pretty darn long. DFW-INC is about 14 or 15 hours now?  INC-CEB is like 5.  I am not tall, but a bit thick. I still find the overseas flights, even coach, to be comfortable enough.  My favorite carrier is Korean Air. Wonderful service, great food, and an amazing in flight entertainment set up.  They have the TV on the back of each seat (pretty common on most overseas carriers, I think).  There are tons of movies, tv shows, music, and games you can access with a wired remote.

Korean air also gives a care pack with paper slippers, toothbrush and headphones (couple other things but I forget).  I rarely even feel the need to get up and stretch my legs - so maybe I am just lucky.  On a 14 hour flight there might be 2 bathroom breaks, and that is all the walking I do. 

For my personal comfort I bring a neck pillow. I prefer the bead filled instead of the inflatable.  It is bulkier but more comfortable to me.   I bring an eye mask, and my ipod with ear buds. I have never needed noise canceling speakers. The only real noise is the soothing sound of the engine. which I love.  The only scary part is that one time a lady across from me had a chair with a broken tv... I would have gone stark raving mad ha ha (she did).  I always have my phone and power bank, in case I want to play games or read a book.

Incheon airport, Korean Air's home in Seoul, is a great airport for a layover. I try for about a 4 hour layover. Long enough to relax, but not too long.  The food is iffy, unless you are fond of Korean food.  Tons of seating, and they even have a lounge with a free shower. which is a wonderful thing after a 15 hour flight.  The airport is very large and comfortable. I think they had free wifi... but that is always subject to change.

I have never had an issue with long flights, some people hate them... I guess you will find out which one you are?  Good luck :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Over the years the flight has gotten shorter,

Is that from global shrinking ?

1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I am not tall, but a bit thick

No need to put yourself down. That is our job :whistling: :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Guess I'll need to walk further than Alaska-Russia.  Russia-Japan ......may need to get in shape for that.:morning1:

Hydrate 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We flew in on Cathey Pacific two weeks ago and power banks had to be in your chech-in luggage.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have always enjoyed air travel - I could happily spend a couple years living out of airports.  Yes... it is an illness ha ha

You are not alone.  For me it was busses I enjoyed (in my youth) so I became a bus driver.  It amazed me how some of the 50+ year old women who would buy a 2 month bus pass and just go from bus to bus almost non-stop until it ran out.  Then go out and buy another 2 month bus pass and do it again.

There must be people who do the same on planes.  Perhaps if they "discover their illness" :whistling: at a young enough age they become pilots.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

We flew in on Cathey Pacific two weeks ago and power banks had to be in your chech-in luggage.

I flew Cathay March 4 Cebu to HK, then HK to Vancouver. I had power bank in my fanny pack, no problems at all. I did however get my bic lighter confiscated by security at Cebu check in but I bought another one when i got inside the terminal.

Edited by Lou49

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I don't recommend Ambien to anyone seen too many people hallucinate, wander off, or do other things that they remember nothing about the following day.