Long Flights

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Gary D said:

We flew to the US last August from London, don't recall any problems

Maybe its a case of "your mileage may vary" but when I fly via USA from Asia they make me and the other passengers throw out the water bottles at the boarding gate.  Perhaps they trust flights from London more than flights from Asia?

Here is a link to someone else who had the same situation

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Just take an empty water bottle and fill it from a water fountain after security.

I'll be making the long trip from Florida come the end of May. With a 3 month old. Really looking forward to that.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Reboot said:

Just take an empty water bottle and fill it from a water fountain after security.

FBI consultant, Donald Schtleben shows us why we can not bring water bottles onto airplanes in US.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You just can't take it through security - you can take it on the plane. I take bottled water with me on every flight.  I just buy it after the security check.  They sell it at the airport. I see a lot of people filling bottles after security as well. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

You just can't take it through security

Obviously a case of YMMV.  I posted that I have personally had bottled water confiscated at the boarding gate when boarding a plane to the US (only to the US) and I posted a link of another traveler who had his bottled water confiscated at the boarding gate.  I am sure I can find many more such links but it is pointless as everyone here seems to have a different experience. There seems to be no right or wrong answer.

So one day, when someone finally does tell you that you cannot get past the boarding gate with that bottle of water then you will know you are not alone.  In the meantime, its just a bottle of water.  Until now I thought everyone traveling to the US had their water confiscated.  No problem, you get on board and ask for another bottle of water.

EDIT:  Because it bugged me, I googled some more to find out when the bottled water is confiscated at the gate and when it is not.  Here is the link.  Here is one answer

the secondary screening for liquids only occurs at certain airports, including Hong Kong . . . At least in the case of Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific claims that it's actually a requirement of the U.S. government for U.S.-bound flights

This makes sense because it was at Hong Kong where my bottled water was confiscated at the gate. YMMV because the other tourist I linked to was boarding from a plane from Costa Rica to the US and has his water confiscated at the gate.

Just proves once again that just because one or more of our forum members are right, it does not mean the conflicting reports are wrong.  Oh what a wonderful world.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Obviously a case of YMMV.  I posted that I have personally had bottled water confiscated at the boarding gate when boarding a plane to the US (only to the US) and I posted a link of another traveler who had his bottled water confiscated at the boarding gate.  I am sure I can find many more such links but it is pointless as everyone here seems to have a different experience. There seems to be no right or wrong answer.

So one day, when someone finally does tell you that you cannot get past the boarding gate with that bottle of water then you will know you are not alone.  In the meantime, its just a bottle of water.  Until now I thought everyone traveling to the US had their water confiscated.  No problem, you get on board and ask for another bottle of water.

EDIT:  Because it bugged me, I googled some more to find out when the bottled water is confiscated at the gate and when it is not.  Here is the link.  Here is one answer

This makes sense because it was at Hong Kong where my bottled water was confiscated at the gate. YMMV because the other tourist I linked to was boarding from a plane from Costa Rica to the US and has his water confiscated at the gate.

Just proves once again that just because one or more of our forum members are right, it does not mean the conflicting reports are wrong.  Oh what a wonderful world.

I'm sitting in HK  this very minute and yes they were taking water away at the transfer security, we bought some at the kiosk at the gate.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Reboot said:

I'll be making the long trip from Florida come the end of May. With a 3 month old. Really looking forward to that.

3 months old should not be too bad.  See if you can book a bulkhead seat with a bassinet.  That would be perfect for a 3 month old.   When we did 9 hours to Auckland, Katy was 1 year 9 months and she was very rambunctious, and didn't care for the bassinet.  Leila was still a bun in the oven at that time.  Then when we flew to the U.S. last May, Katy was 3 and Leila was just turning 1.  That was a handful!

• Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

You just can't take it through security - you can take it on the plane. I take bottled water with me on every flight.  I just buy it after the security check.  They sell it at the airport. I see a lot of people filling bottles after security as well. 

That works too unless you're kuripot like me.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Reboot said:

3 months  you are a better man than I Gunga-Din 

• Like 1