Health insurance

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, blkJack said:

yes tanks I did that and as far as i can see i have to be on the SRRV, any one have a cheap provider that might work for me or is 350-500 usd   a good price for a bare bones package

Philhealth is available to all including foreigners and nothing to do with SRRV. There are other insurers here as well. Best to read some of the topics on health insurance to get a grip on things. :thumbsup:

blkJack
Posted
Posted

Thanks I totally missed it and will have another look. Thanks for your patience with me. I'm not quite sure how to use the search engine but I'll figure it out soon. I spent all day reading the site an will have to spend a lot more yet. Quite frankly I'm getting a little scared when I read what people are spending on their budgets, the problem with the GF's, and a few other situations but it will all work out I hope before I leave. Still have to find something on living on a bare bones budget. Just another dumb Canadian looking for love in all the wrong places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

blkJack
Posted
Posted

I guess I don't quite understand yet what my destination would be and how I can be recognized as a Retired Senior living in the Philippines if I am just coming in under a  visitors visa. I will be living with a Filipina woman who is legally separated. I hope to be doing the Extend the visa for up to 3 years thing. I read  the PRA health form to enroll but don't know yet how to obtain Status. I keep up my search here on the boards and hope I can find something that will help in my understanding of all of this.   

robert k
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, blkJack said:

I guess I don't quite understand yet what my destination would be and how I can be recognized as a Retired Senior living in the Philippines if I am just coming in under a  visitors visa. I will be living with a Filipina woman who is legally separated. I hope to be doing the Extend the visa for up to 3 years thing. I read  the PRA health form to enroll but don't know yet how to obtain Status. I keep up my search here on the boards and hope I can find something that will help in my understanding of all of this.   

I think you are reading too much into it. I think Philhealth would be happy to have you as a customer. There are other insurances like Pacific Cross [I have no connection with them, just an example].

You may be able to get travel insurance for the first 6 months [maximum] of your stay in the Philippines, but who is to say that you couldn't get another 6 months after with another company and just rotate them? Just be sure to follow their rules.

Lots of ins and outs to be learned from the forums already collected wisdom, Just click on the Jeepney at the top left of the page and scroll down til you find the category you are interested in.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are covered by Medicare, Medicare B and supplementary insurance that pays the remainder that is not paid by Medicare and Medicare B.  The supplementary insurance also covers all emergency medical expenses outside the United States on a 70/30 co-pay system.  Everything is covered except dental, vision and prescription medication.  For these three items, our practice is international medical tourism.

If we were to return to the Philippines on a permanent basis, we can opt out of paying Medicare B and supplementary insurance. Rather than purchasing a local medical insurance policy, I would set aside the theoretical monthly premiums as a cash fund to cover all our medical costs.  The reason is hospitals will demand a large cash deposit irregardless of your insurance carrier.  The general policy in the Philippines is you pay cash and then your collect from your insurer.  Every hospital has a different policy regarding which insurance is acceptable. So, cash is king.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

ADDITIONAL NOTES: 

In the United States, I can go to nearly any hospital or urgent care facility and they will accept my insurance for any medical service. 

In the Philippines, health insurance is not universally accepted. Each facility has their own rules. So you better show up with cash to make a substantial deposit.  Another reason is the medical doctors are independent contractors affiliated with the hospital. If you demonstrate the ability to pay, the service is prompt. At least that's my theory. So I would opt for self-insure.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If we were to return to the Philippines on a permanent basis, we can opt out of paying Medicare B and supplementary insurance.

So what you are saying is that if I move to the Philippines you can cancel Part B and have them return the $134 to my check each month?

also if I decide to return to the US will there be a penalty for not having Part B for X amount of months? 

And yes putting aside the extra money for future health care needs is a great idea

RBM
Posted
Posted

As per the example of Dave and my own experience it's vital to have sufficient cash on hand. Preferably in quite a few accounts so ATM access is available, like it or not your partner GF what ever needs to have access. Many insurances like mine require one to pay and apply for reimbursement.

No cash no care, have heard it's illegal what they do as not allowed to with hold care how ever would be most reluctant to push it

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

As per the example of Dave and my own experience it's vital to have sufficient cash on hand.

And let me add that credit cards are not quite as good as cash but a good second choice.

In Silliman hospital, Dumaguete you can use your credit card for many things but they won't just reserve an amount on your card and then bill you when done.  They will make you pay for each procedure you get with a separate swipe of the card.  Well you can imagine what the credit card fraud department thinks of that and when they cut off your card until you contact them, but you are lying in a hospital bed, what a freakin' nightmare.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, marine6357 said:

So what you are saying is that if I move to the Philippines you can cancel Part B and have them return the $134 to my check each month?

also if I decide to return to the US will there be a penalty for not having Part B for X amount of months? 

And yes putting aside the extra money for future health care needs is a great idea

You may use VA instead of plan B.  Not sure (asked local office) if penalized for being off if not in country. 

As a disabled vet You can use VA instead of part B and get the $134,  but I'm not sure as to how much the premium goes up should you opt to return to plan B on your return to US.  Should be some compensation

14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife and I are covered by Medicare, Medicare B and supplementary insurance that pays the remainder that is not paid by Medicare and Medicare B.  The supplementary insurance also covers all emergency medical expenses outside the United States on a 70/30 co-pay system.  Everything is covered except dental, vision and prescription medication.  For these three items, our practice is international medical tourism.

If we were to return to the Philippines on a permanent basis, we can opt out of paying Medicare B and supplementary insurance. Rather than purchasing a local medical insurance policy, I would set aside the theoretical monthly premiums as a cash fund to cover all our medical costs.  The reason is hospitals will demand a large cash deposit irregardless of your insurance carrier.  The general policy in the Philippines is you pay cash and then your collect from your insurer.  Every hospital has a different policy regarding which insurance is acceptable. So, cash is king.

for not being in system while out of country.

Edited by Gerald Glatt
bad responce