Concreters and other jobs

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My driveway was done poorly, and when I replace it with a larger one, I would like to have concrete experts do it.

Not sure how we got onto concrete but if I may have a little say on this. Over the last 4 weeks I have been watching them put in a new section of Road on the Valencia road ( about 500 meters in total), Preparation is a key word I think and this crew have been darn good at it. From Grading the Old road and leveling, to Sub Floor lever then Shuttering with a (maybe) a 2 inch Off Lay to both sides for water escape, They are Laying top Cover at about 3/4 lorry mixes a day per section. I will agree that there are some that can do a decent Job but Like OMW, none of these guys were on My driveway :whistling: The Bug bear is that they are doing it in Sections and have no Traffic Control outside work Hours and it is a very busy road:huh: TMO here are no experts at traffic Control.

:508:

Jack :wosautos121:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not sure how we got onto concrete but if I may have a little say on this. Over the last 4 weeks I have been watching them put in a new section of Road on the Valencia road ( about 500 meters in total), Preparation is a key word I think and this crew have been darn good at it. From Grading the Old road and leveling, to Sub Floor lever then Shuttering with a (maybe) a 2 inch Off Lay to both sides for water escape, They are Laying top Cover at about 3/4 lorry mixes a day per section. I will agree that there are some that can do a decent Job but Like OMW, none of these guys were on My driveway :whistling: The Bug bear is that they are doing it in Sections and have no Traffic Control outside work Hours and it is a very busy road:huh: TMO here are no experts at traffic Control.

:508:

Jack :wosautos121:

Morning All:photo-109:

Down in Olongapo City they have an ongoing road replacement project, replacing old semi-paved road with concrete.  They also seem to be good at it, and even better, they have the budget to put in thick concrete that should last many years.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

they have the budget to put in thick concrete that should last many years.

The thickness of the concrete is important, but equally important is the surface.  If they are not experts or if they scrimp on the mix then the surface becomes pitted and collects water and erodes to potholes inside a year.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The thickness of the concrete is important, but equally important is the surface.  If they are not experts or if they scrimp on the mix then the surface becomes pitted and collects water and erodes to potholes inside a year.

They have been doing this for the last few years and so far, the concrete seems to be holding up well.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Off topic, but did you have expert concrete finishers there that day or just the regular guys?

Just regular guys with homemade floats. In fact, the guys finishing the back patio did so by throwing dry concrete atop the wet - with no face masks to protect their lungs. When we freaked out, they laughed and said, "It's ok!"

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

How do you class an expert?  When I complain about anything my GF says, look around, where are you? Oh 

All expertise is self-proclaimed. "Yes! I'm a rocket surgeon!"

Really, though, I think expertise is just classified as "guy who did it once before".

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Maybe my question should have been, do they come with the pump truck, or does your contractor procure them temporarily?

Only the truck workers came with the truck. There were a few experienced "masons" on our crew. The fellow who made the pedestals for our 1,000-liter rain barrels made beautiful rounded corners on what could have been ugly blocks. Mostly, all of the workers, no matter what they were classed as, were simply guys who had done the same work repeatedly for the contractor over various jobs.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Just regular guys with homemade floats. In fact, the guys finishing the back patio did so by throwing dry concrete atop the wet - with no face masks to protect their lungs. When we freaked out, they laughed and said, "It's ok!"

We used to do that and never wore masks, but that was 40 years ago.  Which would be about how far, on average, Philippines is behind on these sort of things.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So has anyone else used a concrete pumper on their residential project?

I don't remember seeing any in this area until the last few years, and now they have really caught on.  I think some contractors are finally realizing they can save time and money, even with low hand labor costs, by building good forms and getting a lot of concrete poured in a day or two.

We also have a new concrete mixing plant in the area, and there are now 3, I think.  Demand must be high.

• 3 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 05/04/2018 at 11:44 PM, OnMyWay said:

So has anyone else used a concrete pumper on their residential project?

I don't remember seeing any in this area until the last few years, and now they have really caught on.  I think some contractors are finally realizing they can save time and money, even with low hand labor costs, by building good forms and getting a lot of concrete poured in a day or two.

We also have a new concrete mixing plant in the area, and there are now 3, I think.  Demand must be high.

We never even had a concrete mixer, everything was mixed by hand. 3 stories high and 150 sqm plus 2 balconies and a patio 15x3 meters