Update on American hanging

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

neighbors said he would lure girls into the house with toys.

Yes they could say that but what happened once inside?  Ice Cream and rice or something sinister?  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes they could say that but what happened once inside?  Ice Cream and rice or something sinister?  

Even if it was ice cream and rice, a foreigner alone with an 8 year old local is a crime in this country.  Even if he was innocent of heavy crimes, he was setting himself up for trouble.  If those reports are true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Even if it was ice cream and rice, a foreigner alone with an 8 year old local is a crime in this country.  Even if he was innocent of heavy crimes, he was setting himself up for trouble.  If those reports are true.

Yes I know the law but none of us have the facts but either way he died which appears to be in suspicious circumstances so if someone had a hand in his killing then I hope they find out who because it's a crime to kill someone whether guilty or not. With him dead he cant defend himself so there is no innocent until proven guilty which we know in the western world. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Even if he was innocent of heavy crimes, he was setting himself up for trouble. 

I'll surely give you that one.  If it ain't motorcycle assassins, its vigilantes or the cops in the jail cells.  The bottom line is if a foreigner does something that the locals don't like you better fly under the radar as trouble will find you, legal or otherwise.

Does anyone need me to name foreigners who have been killed without even a hint that they were breaking any laws?  This guy was accused of breaking a law, (one that would get everyone riled up to believe he was guilty until proven innocent), then he was killed.  Hmmm.  I can't really wrap my mind about that so I just try to keep a low profile.  Too bad the deceased American did not do the same.

PS:  If they had any evidence why kill him?  They had evidence on a guy named Drew and they jailed him for life.  Seems to me, the only ones who die in jail are the ones they have no evidence on.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'll surely give you that one.  If it ain't motorcycle assassins, its vigilantes or the cops in the jail cells.  The bottom line is if a foreigner does something that the locals don't like you better fly under the radar as trouble will find you, legal or otherwise.

Does anyone need me to name foreigners who have been killed without even a hint that they were breaking any laws?  This guy was accused of breaking a law, (one that would get everyone riled up to believe he was guilty until proven innocent), then he was killed.  Hmmm.  I can't really wrap my mind about that so I just try to keep a low profile.  Too bad the deceased American did not do the same.

PS:  If they had any evidence why kill him?  They had evidence on a guy named Drew and they jailed him for life.  Seems to me, the only ones who die in jail are the ones they have no evidence on.

You are still assuming that he did not kill himself.  I think there is a possibility that he did, even with encouragement.

Think about it.

--  You are in a third world country jail, accused of child abuse or whatever you want to call it.  You are disgraced, no matter what the outcome.  Especially if there really was an 8 year girl in your house at time of arrest.

--  The police or whoever rough you up, trying to get a confession.  Life is not looking good.

--  His sister said he never wore a belt.  This guy travels the world and his sister knows his belt wearing habits.  I don't really buy that argument but let's say he didn't.  They put him in a private cell that just happens to have a nice pipe on the ceiling, and they throw him a belt.  (Someone should ask what size was the belt.  His size?  In western jails you are probably not allowed a belt).

-- Given the possibility that he had committed crimes against children and was feeling guilty about it ....... he may have done the deed.

Of course, that scenario is almost the same as killing him, but I think there is some chance, one way or the other, that he killed himself.  There is also a good chance that he was killed, but I can't rule out either without more evidence.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This article has more information.  True or not?

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2017/12/05/1765820/american-found-dead-nbi-cell

Using the correct spelling of his name, Jesse Phinney, I found a lot more links and watched a few of the family defending him.  Fairly convincing, but why was this 42 year old married guy living in the Philippines away from his wife?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Fairly convincing, but why was this 42 year old married guy living in the Philippines away from his wife?

Where does it say he was married? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You are still assuming that he did not kill himself.  I think there is a possibility that he did, even with encouragement

Possibility?  Yes, there is a possibility but I consider it a very small one.  The assumption I am making is that the privately hired American pathologist knows his stuff when, according to JGF's link, he says the evidence says he did not kill himself:

An American cameraman and filmmaker who died in December in a Philippines jail suffered blunt force trauma, and his body had markings inconsistent with Philippine authorities' assertion that he hanged himself, according to a private U.S. pathologist.

I am "making up my mind" based on the assertion of the professional person who I believe has more experience in these matters than anyone else I know to have investigated the case.  So there is an assumption of sorts, but only an assumption that the guy who is saying he did not hang himself is a competent private US pathologist. 

So questions follow:  If the Philippine authorities lied about that, what else did they lie about?  If it were up to me I would throw the whole case out based on zero concrete evidence, chika chika and rumors from the neighbors, a murder of the suspect, and a lying cover-up by the police.  But that's just me.

I have heard the story too many times about the evil foreigner in the white van who abducts children and all the a neighbors and authorities go on a witch hunt and it turns out the child was with her friends and did not want to get in trouble so concocted a lie.  So when I hear about the evil foreigner luring children into his Gingerbread house I see it for what it is.  A story with no evidence to back it up.

To repeat.  There is a possibility that you, OnMyWay are correct.  I know you have small children and that would automatically put you on the "better safe than sorry" side when it comes to even a hint that the man may be an abuser.  I sincerely hope that, if such a man were to come near your kids that you would do as the cops "allegedly" did and we could discuss it later.  But make damn sure you are right.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where does it say he was married? 

His widow was in a video when I googled him.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/family-questions-death-of-boston-native-in-philippines/14514376

I think they could get more traction if they added more detail about what he was doing living in the Philippines.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

His widow was in a video when I googled him.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/family-questions-death-of-boston-native-in-philippines/14514376

I think they could get more traction if they added more detail about what he was doing living in the Philippines.

Well he was a cameraman and also helped the poor children.  Listen to what his widow says here, https://www.gofundme.com/justiceforjessep

Also the family says but I have not seen evidence of this, 

"The children and mothers have contacted us to proclaim his innocence, his deep kindness to them, and their heartbreak at his death, offering us, unsolicited, messages and video testimony"

• Like 1