Flights from Europe to Philippines via Middle East?

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, virginprune said:

That must be new is it? I went via Doha to/from Thailand around 9 years ago and the airport was dire, nothing there but a prayer room, smoking room and a coffee bar.

Yes they built a new one, and by the looks of it, spared no expense. It's pretty impressive and as I said, the nicest most luxurious airport I have ever been in. I spent about 8 hours there, and felt quite comfortable. 

hamad-doha.jpg

Edited by Reboot

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

We always break our journey in Dubai when travelling to/from London and Phils. Dubai offers a great range of things to do and see in a compact area. Travelling around is very easy. 

Be aware during Ramadan (this year 15th May to 14th June 2018)  many food outlets will be closed during daylight hours. 

Emirates offer the option of the extended layover and make the process very simple. 

Link here: https://www.emirates.com/english/destinations_offers/dubai_stopovers/dubai-stopovers.aspx

Ken

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

We always break our journey in Dubai when travelling to/from London and Phils. Dubai offers a great range of things to do and see in a compact area. Travelling around is very easy. 

Be aware during Ramadan (this year 15th May to 14th June 2018)  many food outlets will be closed during daylight hours. 

Emirates offer the option of the extended layover and make the process very simple. 

Link here: https://www.emirates.com/english/destinations_offers/dubai_stopovers/dubai-stopovers.aspx

Ken

Perfect!  It has how to book it online too!

Thanks Ken!

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Emirates stopped the Dubai Clark last year and now do Dubai Cebu Clark so makes it a longer flight. Often the bucket tickets do not allow spotovers so you my have to pay more. The new airport in Doha open about 2 years ago. A nice place to spend a couple of hours.

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Etihad fly Manila to Abu Dhabi and you can get a lay over here in Abu Dhabi and buy me a beer or ten!

Paul

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, PaulB said:

and you can get a lay over here

Is it legal and how much :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Ken

Wow that's really great. Shopping for flights right now and maybe I will switch airports and fly Emirates. I just wonder of that program works for someone on a Ph passport?

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
On 4/8/2018 at 12:42 AM, OnMyWay said:

Several have said they liked flying over the middle east, to/from Europe.  That might be a good option for me, flying from Clark.

If I fly Clark to Dubai on Emirates, is it possible for the family and I to stopover in Dubai for a few nights?  Do a quick tour?

A.  If so, how do I book the ticket and still get a cheap fare?  Will I have to pay more?

B.  Do Filipinos need a visa for UAE?  I guessing yes and of course I can find out, but I'm sure one of you knows.

C.  If we only have a long layover, is a day tour of Dubai possible?  With small kids?

Sorry if a bit off topic but you guys are all over this thread!  :smile:

Im in the UAE pretty much once a quarter and this has also been our route of choice over the past couple of years back to the uk.  To answer your questions specifically:

A.  Look at skyscanner or Google flights.  Those are the best tools for cheap flights.

B.  Yes, and if you go with emirates the process is very simple.  once you have booked your flight with a stopover there is a link on the site with the application form.  Its straightforward and most importantly emirates sponsor the visa (otherwise you would be forking out a deposit of AED 10,000).  You may actually find your partner is entitled to a transit visa which allows up to a certain time outside of the airport without a visa at all.  https://www.emirates.com/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/uae-visas/

C.  Absolutely.  When you land, buy yourself a metro ticket prepaid card and basically follow the metro line to the key sites (Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall etc etc ..... Google maps is your friend).   That will take you right back to the airport too.  You get a reasonable view of the Burj al arab as well from the metro line.   Im sure there are organised tours too.   Depending on the time of year  you go it can be very very hot and humid in July/August so walking anywhere isnt an option and if you get stuck there in ramadan bear in mind that food and beverage options will be limited throughout the country and if you have kids with you i wouldnt even bother going in.  The airport is alot more relaxed for F&B during ramadan.

Others have mentioned flying through Qatar, and i spotted the other day that they are putting their new 787 on clark to doha which would be much nicer than the old 777 from Manila.  Not sure about stop over options, but i was in Doha the other week and wouldnt really rate it that much. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

Emirates stopped the Dubai Clark last year and now do Dubai Cebu Clark so makes it a longer flight. Often the bucket tickets do not allow spotovers so you my have to pay more. The new airport in Doha open about 2 years ago. A nice place to spend a couple of hours.

Yes, that is a bit of a letdown, but not too bad.  If I choose the fast connections in Dubai, Clark-Paris has a duration of 18:35 minutes, with 2:50 connection in Dubai.  On the way back, it is 2:30 in Dubai, 1.5 in Cebu, total duration 21 hours.

I'm looking in October and the lowest fares are $719 all in.  Nice fare and I like their website.  It shows a lot of info easily that I have to hunt for on other websites.

One big reason for a stay in Dubai is to break the long flight up, as others mentioned they like to do.  Maybe 2 days in Dubai.  I saw a blurb on Emirates website that you can apply for a visa on their website.

Thinking about 10 days in Germany and France at my daughters school break.  Not sure if we can swing it this year.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, jrlee183 said:

Im in the UAE pretty much once a quarter and this has also been our route of choice over the past couple of years back to the uk.  To answer your questions specifically:

Thanks JR for the great info!

I'm not sure if I will try this trip this year, when our youngest is 2.5, or wait until next year when she is 3.5.

You probably know the answer to this question.  Are car seats required for children in the Euro zone?  I think they are but I didn't pay much attention when I lived there.

• Like 1