So now our leaders are using the modern world of communicating

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

I'm very concerned that this could escalate into a nuclear exchange

People have been concerned about that since the 1950's and all we can do is find:

. . .  the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

People have been concerned about that since the 1950's and all we can do is find:

. . .  the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Are you a friend of bill ?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I'm very concerned that this could escalate into a nuclear exchange , these leaders are pushing themselves into a corner with little or no room for diplomacy 

The use of chemical weapons also causes me to worry about the future use of AI (artificial intelligence) as a weapon ,when you have people such as the late Stephen hawking and the likes of Eton musk cautioning us about AI ,then how long before one if the big powers uses AI as a weapon ? If they can't contain these chemical weapons through international law then how long before we see robot soldiers etc ??

That horse has bolted, it's in the air already and has been for a long time. An F-111 didn't actually need a pilot to carry out a bombing run. Once an AC130 goes weapons free, the computer fires the guns where you told the computer our guys weren't. Hopefully weren't anyway.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

That horse has bolted, it's in the air already and has been for a long time. An F-111 didn't actually need a pilot to carry out a bombing run. Once an AC130 goes weapons free, the computer fires the guns where you told the computer our guys weren't. Hopefully weren't anyway.

Now that I think about it , we have an airbase not far from me ,where they control drones ,an old battle of Britain pilot told me a long time ago about fire and forget missiles ,he ended up flying for the Saudis 

Get ready for RoboCop I guess 

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I don't understand Trump and his legions of deciples. It appears to me he is a school yard bully shouting across the yard at the big guy hoping to impress his minions. Not realising that the guy he is shouting at is merely resting and should be left alone.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

I don't understand Trump and his legions of deciples

Before this goes any further, let me remind members of the opening post by Admin

16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Before this topic continues I just want to say it's not a Trump topic but to discuss the use of social media.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

My point is. He is using social media like a kid shouting across a school yard. 

Putin has not and will not respond in kind because it's totally inappropriate and foolish to do so. Putin is no fool.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, topcat72m said:

My point is. He is using social media like a kid shouting across a school yard. 

This is basically my point of the topic as to me it seems inappropriate for and country leaders to be Tweeting anything even if some paid aid actually does it.  :5714137783ea0_1(172):

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

inappropriate for and country leaders to be Tweeting

Let me try and tip toe through this mine field. Leader tweeting is either good or bad, depending on if a person agrees with it I think. But in todays age of sound byte headlines, it is about the only way a person can get his/her views out past media filters.

My example is: I watched Mark Zuckerberg's testimony in front of congress over two days (I know, I know, I need to get a life :hystery:) If a person watches the news a person would get the impression of a billionaire being dragged over the coals and that Mr. Z was only concerned about his bottom line. The impression I got after watching was he kept stressing over and over again that it is the FB account holders responsibility to control the content they post.

This might be a bad example but Trump is not the only one who tweets, but almost the only one who gets repeated on international media. Since I am a yank I see a lot of repeated tweets, from far left political leaders (I wont name names as few would recognize them) They are just as far out there as Trump, just from the other side of the spectrum. We just don't hear about them on cnn, fox or bbc.

• Like 1

popeye72 
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Since I am a yank I see a lot of repeated tweets, from far left political leaders (I wont name names as few would recognize them) They are just as far out there as Trump, just from the other side of the spectrum. We just don't hear about them on cnn, fox or bbc.

We don't hear about them because they are not the president of the most powerful nation in the world. 

What left or right wing politicians do is insignificant when compared to what the leaders of nations do. You don' read about the tweets of other world leaders because they are measured in all their media encounters. They are aware of the impact of their words. 

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic