America's ‘big stick’ arrives in the Philippines

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I really hope the Brits do more to build up their Navy. If the Argies took to the Falklands again, they might not be able to take them back again, unlike last time.

And it was a closer run thing last time than many people realise.

*Just as a side note*

The HMS Ocean (former flag ship of the UK navy and a helicopter carrier) has been sold to Argentinia.

That seems... at least on the surface... a little unusual.

Edited by GeoffH

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Reboot said:

I really hope the Brits do more to build up their Navy. If the Argies took to the Falklands again, they might not be able to take them back again, unlike last time.

Not Going there my friend other that to say the UK should keep their nose in their own feed bag :wink:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think  in the West it's the defence companies dictating what we need rather than the guys on the ground. There was an interesting article I read during the Scottish Independence vote that pretty much highlighted one company working on the upgraded trident submarines also had close ties with the defence industry in Russia working on an  anti intercontinental ballistic missile system. Pretty much me selling you a gun and your enemy a bullet proof jacket.

A lot of the so called enemy states are now putting their money into electronic countermeasures. There's currently very effective weapon systems out there that pretty much disable all guidance systems and communication lines. In effect rendering super carriers pretty much obsolete. Over here in the UK our military is literally turning into a militia with cut backs while the defence industry line their pockets.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Good business isn't it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Good business isn't it.

For some but not for the Guys upfront, on the sea or in the Air 

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

For some but not for the Guys upfront, on the sea or in the Air 

Nobody cares about the bleeding countryman any more. It's all international now. They're just pawns for profit, it seems.

Edited by Reboot

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I really hope the Brits do more to build up their Navy. If the Argies took to the Falklands again, they might not have the resources to be able to take them back again, unlike last time. Even last time it seemed to be touch and go, with Exocets and Reagan wanting to get them a fresh ship.

Sadly having spent 3 tours with the Commando Brigade involved in the Falklands and been on many operational tours I can safely say the British Military is being run into the ground.

It's gone from a nation of warriors with strong leaders to a politically correct militia run by cowardly officers frightened of losing their Knighthood. I've still got friends working on defence procurement and have a little bit of experience in it also. We would trial various pieces of equipment and at times find some head and shoulders above the competitors. We would write our reports and send them to civil servants who in cahoots with politicians would do dodgy deals with suppliers or countries and we'd end up with pretty useless items. Just look at our aircrafts, ships and weapon system. Almost all not up to the role.

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Sadly having spent 3 tours with the Commando Brigade involved in the Falklands and been on many operational tours I can safely say the British Military is being run into the ground.

It's gone from a nation of warriors with strong leaders to a politically correct militia run by cowardly officers frightened of losing their Knighthood. I've still got friends working on defence procurement and have a little bit of experience in it also. We would trial various pieces of equipment and at times find some head and shoulders above the competitors. We would write our reports and send them to civil servants who in cahoots with politicians would do dodgy deals with suppliers or countries and we'd end up with pretty useless items. Just look at our aircrafts, ships and weapon system. Almost all not up to the role.

To think you guys once built this.

Avro-Vulcan-XH558-Flight-Waddington-678x

I'm not gloating. My country is just a step behind on the same trail. The rot is from within. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

To think you guys once built this.

Avro-Vulcan-XH558-Flight-Waddington-678x

I'm not gloating. My country is just a step behind on the same trail. The rot is from within. 

I hate to disappoint you but I've also worked with the US and Canadian Military. I used to laugh at them thinking how lucky I was. I never took into consideration how quickly we could catch up and at times overtake.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
Just now, Snowy79 said:

I hate to disappoint you but I've also worked with the US and Canadian Military. I used to laugh at them thinking how lucky I was. I never took into consideration how quickly we could catch up and at times overtake.

Since I've never served I'll leave you with the last word! :whatever:

• Like 1