Brit, Unlucky Thief ?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Note found in the pocket is strange. Could it be the name of a race horse or something totally unrelated to his death? 

British man is found dead with note saying 'unlucky thief' in his pockets in suspected murder in the Philippines

A British man has been found dead in the Philippines after a suspected hit and run attack.

Gerry Higgins, 56, from Clapham, south west London, was discovered floating face-down on a lake in Pangasinan, Philippines, last Wednesday.

According to police the expat father-of-one had been out with friends the night before and he called his wife before heading home.

But he never made it back - and soon after, terrified passers-by discovered his lifeless body in the shallow water of a fishing pond.

Filipino police are yet to reveal the cause of death but they are reportedly examining the possibility of a hit-and-run after a mysterious note was found in the man's pocket.  

Bizarrely, a hand-written note with the words 'unlucky thief' was found in his pockets.

Brittish mans death.jpg

Police now suspect that he was killed in a hit and run or murdered then dumped into the pond.

Superintendent Monaliza Asis said: 'Officers investigated the scene and there were skid marks on the other side of the road. We believe they're from a car.'

Police said no bullet casings were found at the scene and said that robbery was unlikely as he was found with 5,000 Piso in cash (67GBP) and his phone in his pockets. 

But the mystery death has baffled police who are now appealing for witnesses to come forward with more information.

Gerry had moved to the Philippines around 10 years ago and was well-known in the area. He was married and had one daughter. 

Superintendent Asis added: 'We have not ruled out any angles during the investigation.

'The victim's body had scratches and marks on the arms and face.

'He could have fallen heavily into the fishpond or he was hit by something immediately before falling.

'It is also possible that the victim's body was killed someplace else and was only dumped there.'  

Gerard's friends reacted with shock after learning of his death - posting tributes online to the "lovely guy". He is believed to have moved to the Philippines several years ago.

Pal David Atkinson said: "This is terrible news. Gerry was a legend."

Close friend Len Pagnam, who posted a tribute picture of Gerard online, said: "Don't have any information, it's all a mystery, very sad."

Carlos Brenez added: "I received the sad news today, oh boy. Gerry Higgins you always brought laughter and happiness when I'd see you. I can't believe you've gone so soon to make angels laugh in heaven, God bless your soul matey. I'm going to miss you man."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5620585/British-man-dead-note-saying-unlucky-thief-suspected-murder-Philippines.html#ixzz5D2pB5PUn
k

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a hit and run, maybe he was knocked flying into this fish pond?

Nice guy's don't steal and it's sounds that he was well known and well liked.......just my two cent's JGF

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Nice guy's don't steal and it's sounds that he was well known and well liked.......just my two cent's JGF

True and the piece of paper found in his pocket is confusing. Hopefully all will revealed but even so I doubt if we will here about it in the news. :photo-109:

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Apparently there is an online game with a feline called Unlucky Thief.Maybe he was a gamer.

https://www.dofus.com

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

the piece of paper found in his pocket is confusing.

My thoughts on that,

It would be interesting to know if it was his personal style of writing.  If he wrote the note himself, he may have been following a tactic that I use when out and about in the bars.  I keep my stash of cash in one pocket and just move a few notes to the pocket I will be paying for my drinks from.  That way a pickpocket watching me will try to pick the wrong pocket, thinking there is more in there.

So where I'm going with this is:  If he has had his pocket picked before, he may have written "unlucky thief" on that "banknote sized" paper and stuffed it in the pocket with little or no cash.  I am suggesting he would do it as a private joke so if it goes missing he can have a chuckle at the d*ckhead who picked his pocket.  He may have mentioned this private joke to friends and if so it may come to light in the news on future updates.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

This like The Hangover 2 gone wrong. Pangasinan has him now. Maybe going drinking with expats isn't such a hot idea?

• Hmm thinking 1