I'm a Newbe and would like some help with information

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, blkJack said:

Well thank you all for your input, yes it was a type O 15,000P =$360 CND. I'll  talk to her to be sure. I didn't think it was a lot of money for a full furnished home, but lots to check out, please continue with your comments. Do  any of you know what the cheapest destination to fly to might be the cheapest ticket price and how long does someone have to be out of the  country ? I am listening to all of you.

You just search online to find a cheap ticket to anywhere. Technically you can fly back the same day but you have 3 years to worry about that part.

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I can't speak about the agreement between the Philippines and the Canadian government on VISA's since I'm an american.

I can, however caution you as well about currently married Filipinas.  Unless she can arrange to get her marriage annulled under the new laws that were passed (normally a great tall order.  Read the marriage/divorce forum), I would definitely urge caution.  The husband could see that she's hooked up with a "rich" westener and try blackmail.

Good luck.:welcome-group:

• Like 3

blkJack
Posted
Posted

Well finding out about the adultery laws sure freaked me out so I have been talking to her about that and she says that she has the a legal separation registered at the government office 3 years ago. So I don't know if that is posable in the Philippines. I have looked up the adult cases and in all that I found it was truly adultery like the 1 sighted on this board. Can any of you tell me how much is a reasonable cost to live in a fully equipped house or apartment so that I might get a handle on it. i been doing lots of reading on it and watching the youtube videos. She has found a 2 bedroom house in the Victoria homes subdivision for P7000 but it's unfurnished and I didn't want to buy anything until I lived with her for a while. So please be the devil's advocate here.  

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

My friend be cautious.  Here's a link to legal separations in the Philippines.

http://info.legalzoom.com/philippine-laws-divorce-separation-annulment-20694.html

I'm all for true love.  But besides your heart listen to your reason as well.  By all means visit the Philippines and your lady friend and do what your heart decides but use your reason as well. ☺

Lou49
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, blkJack said:

Well finding out about the adultery laws sure freaked me out so I have been talking to her about that and she says that she has the a legal separation registered at the government office 3 years ago. So I don't know if that is posable in the Philippines. I have looked up the adult cases and in all that I found it was truly adultery like the 1 sighted on this board. Can any of you tell me how much is a reasonable cost to live in a fully equipped house or apartment so that I might get a handle on it. i been doing lots of reading on it and watching the youtube videos. She has found a 2 bedroom house in the Victoria homes subdivision for P7000 but it's unfurnished and I didn't want to buy anything until I lived with her for a while. So please be the devil's advocate here.  

Furniture and appliances can be cheap... 32 inch flat screen with remote at Unitop for 60 bucks canadian......dvd player 25 bucks. etc......

• Like 2

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi all, my Mrs was still married when I met her, but separated for already 2 years, he was already living with another women and his new child, (the reason she left him) it took over 3 years for the anulment, I had to also do a deal with the ex husband that he would agree to accept a charge of physical and mental abuse, which speeds things up, but then also arrange for the paper work to disappear so he had no record, as this would go against him for work, my advice, talk to her, see if he is willing to file for divorce, pay the costs, as that seems to be the reason most stay married  and get her to find a friend with a legal brain to do what's needed, and budget it for it, consider around $3000 to close it out. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, blkJack said:

I think you have a good handle on things now.  Since she has a legal separation registered at the government office, and since it has been 3 years, you will find yourself in similar circumstances to many expats here.  The only one who can file adultery charges against you is her ex husband so if he signed the separation and is happy with it then your chances of the legal husband having you thrown in jail are slim, but there will always be a chance that could happen.

A lot of expats with your budget settle for rental houses in the 7000 to 10,000 pesos range and furnish them for approximately 100,000 pesos.  Three reasons:  You will get a lot better furniture than the crap most places provide in a "furnished" rental AND it is yours forever so you can take it with you or sell it when you move AND you get a chance to check out the neighborhood so if you hate it you can pack up your stuff and move on the cheap.  15,000 pesos is not bad for a furnished place but I am betting you won't like the furniture.  The extra 5,000 or more a month will add up and 2 years from now you will wish you had just bought your own furniture.  BUT, all that being said, if you are going into a furnished place for a few months only then that may be a wise step while you figure things out.

The main point is:  How flexible is your lady?  If you decide to downsize to a 7,000 peso a month house with some bamboo furniture and a used fridge that you picked up for 20K pesos all-in will she be happy?  Better to find that out early by trying that route first.  Its much easier to increase your standard of living later than to go backwards when you find out your budget is taking too big a hit.  But that is just one man's humble opinion.  In fact, if I were you, I'd go for the furnished place provided they did not lock me in for more than a 6 month lease.  Gives you a chance to get your feet wet.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Housing costs run the gamut from very little to kings ransom depending on where and how you want to live. I have an efficiency that I pay 3k php [$60 USD] a month for while I look for a better place in the 15k php range. The landlord actually came down from 4k php because he was happy to have a dependable foreigner as a tenant who paid his rent on time every month. The place isn't ideal but I have my own dedicated personal parking spot for my car. Before I found it I was staying in reasonable 1,000 to 1,200 peso a night hotels for about a month which was not ideal but you need to take your time and realize you are going to bleed money any time you move and you may have to bootstrap yourself from what is available to where you want to be.

I don't want to pile on but if you have not met your intended in person, it might not be a bad idea to set up separate living and get to know her before you move in together. Of particular concern is that you said she was in politics? This is a two edged sword, it may open doors or be a big downside. You might look at how politics is practiced in the Philippines. Take your time is the best general advise there is for the Philippines, most are in no hurry. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Robert has hit on a very valid point as far as politics go. This is an area that is a red line for foreigners. Do not get involved in politics at any level. 

Also as has been said think twice before moving in together. If it goes pear shaped depending on her contacts it could end badly for you. I've learned the hard way about that but fortunately I had a good friend's wife who had words in her ear. By all means find a place nearby and have her stay over a few nights per week until you get to know her better. 

Good luck with your retirement here. It's a big learning curve. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2018 at 6:26 PM, Balisidar said:

My friend be cautious.  Here's a link to legal separations in the Philippines.

http://info.legalzoom.com/philippine-laws-divorce-separation-annulment-20694.html

I'm all for true love.  But besides your heart listen to your reason as well.  By all means visit the Philippines and your lady friend and do what your heart decides but use your reason as well. ☺

Well I'm back to Canada and doing the things I got to do for this trip on the 26th of May. All my friends and kids seem leary of my move as I had experienced misfortune living in the Caribbean for the last 3 years. Cost me a lot of money and many lessons learned, I hope I learned them well enough. All I have left is my back pack and two suit cases and willingness to go forward in search of some happiness in my life. Will keep you all posted. Cheers

• Like 1