I'm a Newbe and would like some help with information

blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2018 at 8:53 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think you have a good handle on things now.  Since she has a legal separation registered at the government office, and since it has been 3 years, you will find yourself in similar circumstances to many expats here.  The only one who can file adultery charges against you is her ex husband so if he signed the separation and is happy with it then your chances of the legal husband having you thrown in jail are slim, but there will always be a chance that could happen.

A lot of expats with your budget settle for rental houses in the 7000 to 10,000 pesos range and furnish them for approximately 100,000 pesos.  Three reasons:  You will get a lot better furniture than the crap most places provide in a "furnished" rental AND it is yours forever so you can take it with you or sell it when you move AND you get a chance to check out the neighborhood so if you hate it you can pack up your stuff and move on the cheap.  15,000 pesos is not bad for a furnished place but I am betting you won't like the furniture.  The extra 5,000 or more a month will add up and 2 years from now you will wish you had just bought your own furniture.  BUT, all that being said, if you are going into a furnished place for a few months only then that may be a wise step while you figure things out.

The main point is:  How flexible is your lady?  If you decide to downsize to a 7,000 peso a month house with some bamboo furniture and a used fridge that you picked up for 20K pesos all-in will she be happy?  Better to find that out early by trying that route first.  Its much easier to increase your standard of living later than to go backwards when you find out your budget is taking too big a hit.  But that is just one man's humble opinion.  In fact, if I were you, I'd go for the furnished place provided they did not lock me in for more than a 6 month lease.  Gives you a chance to get your feet wet.

Well that's what I intend to do, take my time and look around see if I happy with what I see and feel comfortable with. Shes the one that thinks we should keep it on the cheap, 7000P for this two bedroom that has a fridge an stove in a quite safe area. She did say that she would go where ever I decided. Only time and boots on the ground will prove it out. She seems real and is saying all the right things so far. Time will tell. Thanks   for the thoughts. 

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, blkJack said:

Well that's what I intend to do, take my time and look around see if I happy with what I see and feel comfortable with. Shes the one that thinks we should keep it on the cheap, 7000P for this two bedroom that has a fridge an stove in a quite safe area. She did say that she would go where ever I decided. Only time and boots on the ground will prove it out. She seems real and is saying all the right things so far. Time will tell. Thanks   for the thoughts. 

there are a 100s of things to think about and be aware of and cautious about everyday here and even more so when your new here. just adapting to your initial culture shock will be enough to keep you busy without adding any political aspect to your life. 

listen to these people here. we recently had municipal elections and nationwide more than 40 deaths were reported and it was stated that this was a peaceful election. PEACEFUL. its been much higher at times in the past.  

being attached to anyone who is political in any way is the very last thing that you want to be unless you are bullet proof my friend. 

locals everywhere here have a quote... "nothing we can do" .. youll hear it and you should heed it.. casual things you say to people you just meet will be repeated instantly and if you made an unflattering remark the entire town will know it . people that join in chat with you that they find offensive will not react to you. they will smile and then spread what youve said 

an acquaintance lived with a married girl (separated) for more than 10 years while he played and paid the annulment game.  he built a big home.. he put 3 kids through college.. he provided free laptops and gadgets to the whole family over and over. he finally pressed the ex husband to sign the papers. in 24 hours he got a notice that the police were on their way to arrest him for adultery. he escaped with his suitcase to Thailand and nothing else. he managed to get back into the country 6 months later to another province and got another girl and is going for round 2. hes still a wanted man. 

good luck and good fortune sir . EYES WIDE OPEN

blkJack
Posted
Posted

Yes I had been aware of the 40 people that had died from the elections I had spoke to my girlfriend about it. She said yes that's is something you really have to watch over, fortunately she didn't go into the politics game herself this year. She gave her seat to the daughter. Unfortunately her daughter did not get elected and that was in a city far south of the island. She wants us to be in a place far away from her relatives and the people that she knows.  I had just spent 3 years in the Caribbean in some little Banana Republic in the far south and had experienced many things of what you were talking about and learned a lot of  life lessons especially about the gossip and the moment you open your mouth the whole town knows. I sure hope that I have learned those lessons well and will carry them forward. The crime and corruption seem to be about the same as well as the deep poverty and drug problems. I lost a great deal of my property and money to it. I realize that this is different in many ways but also see that it seems to be the same dog doung that you have to what out for. I intend to keep a much lower profile or at least try to than what i did before. I do hear what you all are saying and am not dismissing any of it, and thank you all for your honesty. Cheers

• Like 2

BKB
Posted
Posted

Hope it all works out for you, best of luck. Stay positive and stay alert, keep a low profile. Time tells all...

• Like 1