Building a Floating Net Platform for Lobster 'grow-out' Aquaculture

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I had another 100 individuals delivered to the 'grow-out' net early yesterday morning, so I shot a short Youtube video showing the early stage Algal-juveniles being introduced to the net enclosure (lobster rain). This now brings the total number of individuals in the enclosure to 280 (algal-juveniles).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Amazing what you are doing.  Thanks for sharing the pictures, explanation,  and the time and effort involved in posting the information.

• Thanks 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Amazing what you are doing.  Thanks for sharing the pictures, explanation,  and the time and effort involved in posting the information.

Thank you, and here is some additional information some may find useful.

There is a buyer's industry here in the Philippines. There are a couple of local buyers who regularly travel to this small island and setup their scales and wait for the lobster farmers to bring their product to be weighed and sold.

There are two buyer's prices:

500+ gram weight - Sub-adult size individuals @ 3,000php (per kilogram)

1,000+ gram weight - Adult size individuals         @ 4,000php (per kilogram)

Current approximate cost of Pueruli size individuals (fingerlings) --------     200php - 350php (per individual) 

Current approximate cost of Algal-juvenile individuals (fingerlings) -----     350php - 550php (per individual) 

Growth Weight Times: Individual Size to Market Weights

Puerulus:          to 500 gram ------------- (under) 10-12 months

to 1,000 gram ---------- (under) 14-16 months 

Algal-juvenile: to 500 gram ------------- (under)    8-10 months

to 1,000 gram ---------- (under)  12-14 months

(With proper diet nutrition and feeding ratios)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

For those who like watching videos of lobsters in a net as much as I like making them, then this new one is for you.

This one is 'number 5' in an ongoing series, and I will try (providing the weather, electric company and internet all cooperate) add a new video every two weeks. I should finally finish and upload the first video of the 3-part Lobster 101 series in the next few weeks. This 3-part series has been a three year project requiring the collection and editing of over 800 slides, diagrams, drawings and photos. I also have had to learn the VirtualDub, ProShow, Open-Shot, Audacity and Ocenaudio programs to learn which worked best and could work together. The information for this project required the outlining of what became an 84 page voice-over script. I must apologize in advance for the voice-over work is primitive at best. All recorded using my Android cellphone, mostly while sitting outside in one of the bungalows or porch, always late night/early morning when most quite. Even then it still required constant stoppages due to passing fishing boats, barking dogs and karaoke squawking.

The '101' 3-part video series covers the bulk of information I accumulated over the last nine years of personal research, pertaining to lobster aquaculture and the lobster aquaculture industry. I am safe in saying that it is extremely doubtful that you can find a collective wealth of useful information together in one source anywhere else on the internet. I know as it took me nine years and thousands of hours to collect what I am openly sharing to the viewers. So when the first video is released in the next few weeks, please excuse amateurish voice work. I am after all on a little 8 hector island on the edge of a deep-water mangrove, so it is the best this old Texas boy can provide. I will probably bore you all to sleep or to tears with my South Texas monotone voice, but the quality of the information, artwork and photos collected in this presentations should still make these three videos (when completed) a good watch.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey James,

Nothing like overcome, adapt and improvise against any challenges that come you way.  You meet it head on.

Well done Gunny!  Respectfully Jake  

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well I finally finished the second video of the 3-part Youtube video series ‘Tropical Spiny Rock Lobster 101 - species Panulirus 'ornatus' - Video (2of3)’ which I started work on New Year’s day. It is almost an hour and forty-five minutes long so it is about twenty minutes longer than the first video of this series. The issue was a lack of posted photos on the internet which related on the subjects discussed, which required my digging through my own personal archive of photos and quite a bit of artwork needing to be created. But I am satisfied with the end results and it feels good to have this second video of the series finally uploaded. I have a few smaller video projects that I have had on hold, one is a couple of videos of the lobsters in the grow-out nets which follows what was done through a local disease outbreak; and the other project is a collaboration with a local Filipino lobster buyer/shipper/transporter who’s skills and technique is extremely successful, and we will video and discuss all the steps needed to properly prepare and ship lobster at distances in excess of 10 hours. Rio has shipped lobster as far as the Middle East with successes of 100% survival rates of delivered stock. He has decades if practice hands-on experiences in lobster aquaculture and is a walking ‘treasure trove’ of knowledge which he wants to share.      

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Im52lkdwo

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well I finally finished the second video of the 3-part Youtube video series ‘Tropical Spiny Rock Lobster 101 - species Panulirus 'ornatus' - Video (2of3)’ which I started work on New Year’s day. It is almost an hour and forty-five minutes long so it is about twenty minutes longer than the first video of this series. The issue was a lack of posted photos on the internet which related on the subjects discussed, which required my digging through my own personal archive of photos and quite a bit of artwork needing to be created. But I am satisfied with the end results and it feels good to have this second video of the series finally uploaded. I have a few smaller video projects that I have had on hold, one is a couple of videos of the lobsters in the grow-out nets which follows what was done through a local disease outbreak; and the other project is a collaboration with a local Filipino lobster buyer/shipper/transporter who’s skills and technique is extremely successful, and we will video and discuss all the steps needed to properly prepare and ship lobster at distances in excess of 10 hours. Rio has shipped lobster as far as the Middle East with successes of 100% survival rates of delivered stock. He has decades if practice hands-on experiences in lobster aquaculture and is a walking ‘treasure trove’ of knowledge which he wants to share.      

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Im52lkdwo

• 6 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Video '3of3 Part-A' of my YouTube lobster 101 training video series if finally completed and is now uploaded for viewing. And as usual I hope viewers find it useful, informative and entertaining. Due to the volume of information contained in this third section of the video series, it is necessary to divided the content into two individual videos because the video would simply be too long. I have tried to keep these to around plus or minus 90 minutes in length, So section three consists of both a '3of3 Part-A' and a video '3or3 Part-B'' video, I have already started work on the voiveover for the upcoming '3of3 Part-B' video and should have it ready for upload onto my YouTube channel sometime before early March. This is of course dependent on the amount of artwork I may need create which can be quite time consuming.

This Part-A video contains discussions on subjects pertaining to proper practices and technique used within the commercial lobster 'grow-out' aquaculture industry. Such as reliant facts and figures, proper husbandry fundamentals, feeding practices, water management, net and cage management and proper stock management. To include: topics relating to various types of aquacultural 'grow-out' setups, different net and cage types. and useful information helpful to successfully raise early stage Pueruli seedstock and Juvenile stock to healthy marketable (500gram) Sub-adults, (1,000gram) Adults and (1,500gram) Adult size individuals.

And please feel free to Subscribe, Like, Share or Comment if you feel so inclined.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

Video '3of3 Part-A' of my YouTube lobster 101 training video series if finally completed and is now uploaded for viewing.

Well done Gunny!    

• Thanks 1