Hello

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Was he a local filipino man that threatened you or another foreigner?

If another foreigner then ignore him as you have the same rights he does.  If a filipino then you should listen as we are guests in their country.  We expect to be treated nicely (as we would a guest in our own civilized society).  In return we should respect the rules of the host's home, (as we would expect a guest to obey our rules.)

He was indeed a Filipino. But he don't have to be that sassy if someone's offering to a busker amount of money 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Evegheny Adrian said:

He was indeed a Filipino. But he don't have to be that sassy if someone's offering to a busker amount of money 

You are correct.

Remember I said to "listen" because we are guests.  I did not say obey what he tells you (Provided you are breaking no law or causing him to "lose face").  If that kind of thing happens in the future then politely smile and listen and nod and then do what you were gonna do anyway.

I have seen many filipinos give money to buskers in airports and ferry terminals.  It seems to matter where they are practicing and how the "giver" feels.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I had a very strange occurrence occur to me today which has some relevance here. I was leaving out my daughters back gate here in Canada. I was getting in my truck as a homeless looking women came up to me and asked if she could look in the garbage for bottles. I told here go ahead as I think there is some in the bin. As I backed out with my window open she said thank you po. It took me driving to the corner to realize, what she had said, and I was not in PH. When I got to where I was going I thought why would a pinoy be picking bottles in Canada? I recalled a friend of mine, married to a filapina retelling me the story of a pinoy friend of his let go from his job and then let go from his next job because he was working under the table to support his family and a coworker got jealous and threatend to report him. Hard times can fall on anyone anywhere, but anyone who can stand on street corner and play like Hendrix is not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, canadamale said:

why would a pinoy be picking bottles in Canada?

Simple answer is that no one else is doing it and there is money in it.  Same as all the filipinos going to yard sales and buying stuff that Canadians will throw away, putting it in Balikbayan boxes and sending it to Philippines.  When I had a yard sale before leaving Canada I had a lot of Filipinos come by and I asked questions.  A lot of the stuff that I thought was junk (at that time) ended up in Philippines via someone else's balikbayan box.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:
23 minutes ago, canadamale said:

Simple answer is that no one else is doing it and there is money in it

actually there are numerous bottle pickers here, most I have seen are native., first time I saw a pinoy picking bottles here.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Clermont said:

but everyone has an opinion even if it is not in our norm of thinking

Might have an opinion but the president is aggressively cracking down on foreigners who disrespect the country with their opinions. Personally I can not see the OP surviving long here in the Phils if he is complaining already about what the locals do or not or if the build hospitals and schools but the truth is they are investing in these things and not just stupid kpop or whatever. As for the comment about stupid which included churches, that could get up someone's nose and besides I dont think the goverment build churches. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, oldutot said:

My point is, I'm surprised that giving money to beggars is illegal. As it goes for Seattle the economy  is

great , you can find work.If you want to work.  

I'm not sure if we can apply separation as what a busker/street performer or a beggar is. My thinking is a busker or street performer is working to a point where a beggar just puts the hand out. Anyway the OP was talking about his experience in Baguio where I read an ordinance has been discussed where buskers have to pay a fee and have a licence to perform. Not sure if its passed the final reading.  

Also I can only assume that the anti beggar law is to try to curb the amount of beggars that annoy people on the street with aggressive tactics. 

• Like 1

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, canadamale said:

I had a very strange occurrence occur to me today which has some relevance here. I was leaving out my daughters back gate here in Canada. I was getting in my truck as a homeless looking women came up to me and asked if she could look in the garbage for bottles. I told here go ahead as I think there is some in the bin. As I backed out with my window open she said thank you po. It took me driving to the corner to realize, what she had said, and I was not in PH. When I got to where I was going I thought why would a pinoy be picking bottles in Canada? I recalled a friend of mine, married to a filapina retelling me the story of a pinoy friend of his let go from his job and then let go from his next job because he was working under the table to support his family and a coworker got jealous and threatend to report him. Hard times can fall on anyone anywhere, but anyone who can stand on street corner and play like Hendrix is not one of them.

I encountered also bad situations. After i ran away from war I was living in the streets in Germany. Picking bottles. Was a hard period but I easily found a job where they accepted me. I was working in factories and I had a good payment. I meet Filipinos men and women who prefer to not work and collect bottles and beg there. I also saw Filipinos who marry old and rich people. But most of all I have Filipinos friends who like to work hard so they can reach their objectives. In short term, there are 3 types of Filipino 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, Evegheny Adrian said:

Recently I saw many street performers. But unlike EU, these people who are so skilled and have a great talent on doing something special,they never get rewarded and they are insulted. I recently saw an old blind man at the overpass in Baguio,he is playing guitar like Hendrix. But people are ignoring. Why is like this? 

If he's blind how can he be offended at you?  If he is whats he going to do follow you home in his car?

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I'm not sure if we can apply separation as what a busker/street performer or a beggar is. My thinking is a busker or street performer is working to a point where a beggar just puts the hand out. Anyway the OP was talking about his experience in Baguio where I read an ordinance has been discussed where buskers have to pay a fee and have a licence to perform. Not sure if its passed the final reading.  

Also I can only assume that the anti beggar law is to try to curb the amount of beggars that annoy people on the street with aggressive tactics. 

Because a busker is also working,unlike others who pretend that they're poor and they're not. It's everywhere where you can get permit to do busking. Mys3lf also in Germany I was paying 30€ so I can do it. Is not quite expensive