Android boxes internet TV

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My BIL is shopping for an Android TV box instead of buying a new TV.  There are a lot on Lazada, he says.

Yes, I bought a TV Box to attach to my old TV.  It was only about $75 BUT it is made in China and broke within 6 months.  Some of those TV Boxes are great but if you get a cheap one you will be fixing it down the road.

• Like 2

blkJack
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Side note: 

The You Tube app on my 42 inch LG SMART TV no longer works and is no longer supported.  No replacement available.  It is a 2013 model.

The You Tube app on my BIL's 40 inch Samsung SMART TV no longer works and is no longer supported.  No replacement available.  It is a 2012 model.

That is disappointing for us because our kids like You Tube.  My BIL tells me it is something to do with the older operating systems.  You can still get it in the browser, but not nearly as good.

My BIL is shopping for an Android TV box instead of buying a new TV.  There are a lot on Lazada, he says.

he two best boxes on the market seem to be the Mi Box and the Amazon Fire stick. You will need to take a crash course on how to update and program them with Kodi, you can get youtube to instruct you with how to do it. I think both of those boxes are just over the $100 usd amounts but they are worth the premium. Do some market research before you buy any of the TV boxes. 

• Love it 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Used android boxes in the Ph while staying in Manila and Cebu and they worked great. Bought one for my wife's fam off Lazada (I think it was a Mi Box), and I had to expand my Netflix sub to include their TV. They had a hard time making it work on their older flat panel. Some googling and troubleshooting and it accepted the HDMI connection. The problem was the TV, not the box.

One thing though, the offerings on Netflix aren't the same as you get here. It seems to vary by geography.

Edited by Reboot

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

Used android boxes in the Ph while staying in Manila and Cebu and they worked great. Bought one for my wife's fam off Lazada (I think it was a Mi Box), and I had to expand my Netflix sub to include their TV. They had a hard time making it work on their older flat panel. Some googling and troubleshooting and it accepted the HDMI connection. The problem was the TV, not the box.

One thing though, the offerings on Netflix aren't the same as you get here. It seems to vary by geography.

You can get a US IP address  and not be censored on netflix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

blkJack
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

You can get a US IP address  and not be censored on netflix

If you have all the right Kodi add ons you can leave Netflix alone and just free tv and much more.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Reboot said:

That's due to different licencing agreements for different TV shows and movies in different countries.  Netflix may have the licencing for a movie in the US but another service has it in PI.  This is where a VPN comes in handy.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2018 at 10:01 PM, OnMyWay said:

Side note: 

The You Tube app on my 42 inch LG SMART TV no longer works and is no longer supported.  No replacement available.  It is a 2013 model.

The You Tube app on my BIL's 40 inch Samsung SMART TV no longer works and is no longer supported.  No replacement available.  It is a 2012 model.

That is disappointing for us because our kids like You Tube.  My BIL tells me it is something to do with the older operating systems.  You can still get it in the browser, but not nearly as good.

As someone else mentioned, get a Chromecast. Works really well to cast content from mobile devices to your TV.

blkJack
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, earthdome said:

As someone else mentioned, get a Chromecast. Works really well to cast content from mobile devices to your TV.

yes I have it , it comes with the MI Box and bluetooth  and 1 usb port as well.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/25/2018 at 4:29 PM, blkJack said:

If you have all the right Kodi add ons you can leave Netflix alone and just free tv and much more.

May try...if I can learn what a kodi is.

blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 4/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, Gerald Glatt said:

May try...if I can learn what a kodi is.

Kodi is a free interface for Android operating system and others operating systems. YouTube this;

"' how to install the newest Kodi software  "    you  will get dozens  of people on youtube showing you step by step how to do it.  Once you get a grip on what's happening it all starts to make sence. 

• Thanks 1