What would be a reasonable price to pay for rent

blkJack
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hope you like it.  If not then you will know why you need YOUR boots on the ground. For 7K it will surely be nice by her standards but are you coming here to make her happy or to make you happy?

Filipinas are not nearly as demanding as we foreigners are.  You think you can live in a shack?  Some expats can.  I have a friend who lived in a nipa hut on the beach and paid 500 a month for it.  He shared it with ants, lizards, rats, cockroaches, spiders, and the occasional cobra.  But he was fine with that until Yolanda blew it down.  Filipinas live like that every day until they get with a foreigner.  It will be a steep learning curve for you but you will love it all the same.

I have lived in a small remote town in the north in Canada and I have just spent some time living in the poor parts of the Caribbean at my girlfriends bare concrete, tin roof no screen no sidewalk on the side of the hill with a outdoor shower and latrine that you had to do a balancing act to use and was OK with it,  I don't mind simple.

• Like 4

blkJack
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

You would be looking at around 100,000 to furnish a 2 bed house.

That would seem reasonable. I hate buying stuff now in case the cohabiting goes south but this one seems like it might be a keeper. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, blkJack said:

but this one seems like it might be a keeper.

My Friend, only TIME will tell, Good Luck :Happy: Cos most of us have bin there at one time or another :biggrin:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Clermont said:

they build bloody awful stairs to climb.

It depends on your perception. :tiphat:

stairs.jpg   28468622_2177237559170235_4339438992951958526_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

blkJack
Posted
Posted

Ok, that might be  where the kid is going to sleep. That looks like a 32/12 pitch

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, blkJack said:

That looks like a 32/12 pitch

Many apartments in Philippines have a steeper than normal pitch but the ones in JGFs pics are more the exception than the rule.  BUT there are some steep ones.

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

BTW: did you checked also on OLX and other real estate sites (and even searching on facebook) for rentals in the area to get a grip about the rental costs. (Wow. On OLX can currently no rental be found in the specific area.) And then do the boot work in the area. You can also try to ask tricycle and jeepney drivers if they know something. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, blkJack said:

I have COPD, I can walk and climb ok, it's just trying to carry luggage, backpack around these big air port that I can't do so I ask for wheelchair service and it seems to get you pushed through the express lines and customs quickly. 

If your COPD is to the stage where you no longer like to move your own baggage your COPD could be a big issue for you. The air quality can be very poor in cities and even in smaller places due to burning trash, wood cooking fires, diesel fumes belching from jeepney's, etc.

I have moderate COPD. My wife has commented that I rarely cough now that we are living back in the US in an area with little air pollution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

blkJack
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

If your COPD is to the stage where you no longer like to move your own baggage your COPD could be a big issue for you. The air quality can be very poor in cities and even in smaller places due to burning trash, wood cooking fires, diesel fumes belching from jeepney's, etc.

I have moderate COPD. My wife has commented that I rarely cough now that we are living back in the US in an area with little air pollution.

Well I hope i'll be ok in Dapitan City because I just took the plunge and book my ticket for May 27-28 to Manila and  the 29th from Manila to dapitan. 

• Like 3