Who or what to blame?

Rooster
Posted
Posted

I was going to suggest a concrete core test but I guess you found out the problem.  Or bust up a small area of concrete where the tile is off to see what is there. I've seen workers doing houses for other locals. To cut costs they lay a small layer of concrete over dirt, then lay tile using concrete. 

We just finished Tile work. We used the tile leveling process with plastic clips & wedges I ordered using aliexpress from china.

We also got Tile material from Citi Hardware as well. Cheaper Orange bags (215p) for the floor, Heavy Duty Gray Bags (350p) for the walls. Directions say mix it with a drill and mixing bit then let it sit for at least 15 minutes before applying to the tile or floor. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I was going to suggest a concrete core test but I guess you found out the problem.

Yep ! That is what we did, seems my First thought was not Correct in the Subfloor had Dropped but the test showed that it was a BAD Concrete mix and that had just turned to Dust. We are sure we can get this right this time around.

Thank you all for the replies :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well that is My Birthday gift to myself now, a 20.000+p new Sala Floor. The whole lot has blown, So here is my man "Jonny" here today talking up the lot and preparing for new tiles to go down. Doing the Job right this time I hope (He did not lay the original)  New screed then Prefix coating and Proper Adhesive. Expensive yes but it is the main Area of the house and gets much use so it just has to be.

City Hardware here we come at 5.30 to select and get delivered for Thursday I guess, as it may take him today and tomorrow to prepare it all.

Good my Man Kev (Sonjack) will be here in the Afternoon to supervise and add some thoughts :whistling: 

Do you know that if you soak the old tiles in water and leave them overnight you can scrape the old adhesive off.That will allow you to pay for my beer on thursday.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Do you know that if you soak the old tiles in water and leave them overnight you can scrape the old adhesive off.That will allow you to pay for my beer on thursday.

:hystery: Wish it was that simple! Need to get some of the offending Concrete off the floor to do the job right. As to your beer I am sure we will come to an amicable arrangement  :whistling:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Wish it was that simple! Need to get some of the offending Concrete off the floor to do the job right. As to your beer I am sure we will come to an amicable arrangement  :whistling:

Yep amicable to whom?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

Yep amicable to whom?

:89:  ME of course :hystery:

• Hmm thinking 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

City Hardware and greatful Help

Well I was somewhat amazed this morning, We are nearing the End of this Saga now but found we were 3 tiles lacking. Not only did they (CH) change 2 Broken Tiles but allowed me to purchase the 3  that were needed (Normally we have to buy a complete Box) so a result (Light) at the end of the Tunnel, a very pleased Wife I have just now but at a cost of 30.000+Peso  (Some may say worth the Smile from her)  thumbs up from a lady.jpg Of course I know what is coming next :huh:  Honey (She will say) we should repaint the Sala now as  the walls are marked and The Grouting will show :whistling:on the walls I guess she will mean BUT hey G & G's they are worth it EH  :smile:

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 5/15/2018 at 12:07 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Yep ! That is what we did, seems my First thought was not Correct in the Subfloor had Dropped but the test showed that it was a BAD Concrete mix and that had just turned to Dust. We are sure we can get this right this time around.

Thank you all for the replies :thumbsup:

since you mentioned "turned to dust" jack i might offer this tid bit of info. yes, there are so many variables when using concrete as youve seen and mentioned.. 

one i havent seen mentioned is that when youve poured a slab in a hi-heat environment it will of course set up very fast and that isnt good especially if its thinner than it should be.

we always had burlap sacks to put over the concrete and then would wet them down just to slow the setting process down. allowing concrete to set and dry too quickly can and will cause it to turn to dust much faster than properly dried concrete. one other factor that can help the concrete from dusting is that it be polish finished hard. after it sets the finisher goes on it with a bucket of water and a brush to spread it as he polishes it to a hard shine.. then cover it and keep it wet for say 48 hours. 

even if its under cover of the roof its very hot here and my own floors and walls are hot as i write this . even the water comes out of the tap warm before it cools .

its very hot in the fils. closer to the equator . sometimes hotter than we think it is. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well as I have said before, Thank you all that replied, Armed with the knowledge that was clearly not to hand to the Workers I notice had the Subfloor came up to easily to have been any good, However I have the Job done now by the Families Tiler of over 30 years ( he has been at tiling for 50+ years) [He was not available during the Housebuild]

Kevin @sonjack2847 was up Yesterday for our weekly Chat and I would think that he will attest that the Job has now been Done correctly. Time to get cleaned up now and start thinking about the next issue :56da632e94212_1(60):

Once again G & G's THANK YOU ALL. ( Pity you all were not about at the time of my build in 2012) :smile:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

(Normally we have to buy a complete Box)

Not sure how many in a box here but I think it's good to have a few spares anyway incase down the track if you should have to replace a couple then you have the exact same color but anyway job done and time to start on the bar l guess. :smile:

• Like 1