Expat-to-be...A few questions

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, AwesomeLife said:

Just playing devil's advocate; U.S. marijuana use is still illegal at the Federal level yet most states allow it for medical use and to a lesser extent, for recreational use.  Who knows, maybe some day soon the VA will start distributing it as medicine to PTSD patients!

NPR spoke about medical pot being looked at for pain and PTSD.

However Filipino laws always must be observed.

• Like 2

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

For me Puerto Galera if you don't mind brown outs. A great ex pat community, enough things to keep the mind occupied and with easy access to a big city and other tourist destinations due to local sea plain flights. 

As long as you're not seduced into believing you'll convert a bar girl into wife material there's plenty of girls here to learn all the ways they try to get money out of you before you go looking for a decent partner. 

Sounds like a great location!

Definitely not interested in in playing Captain Save-A-H** or Captain Save-A-Bar Girl.   Just got out of a shitty relationship kind of similar here in the US. Not saying I won't fall for a chick..Sure as s*** wont be a bar girl..Not into that Party 24/7 stuff. 

Edited by Old55
Strong language *****
  • Like 3

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yeah, I could bring my VA prescribed pills I suppose, If i notice myself going downhill, But I should be fine as long as I am keeping busy.    Yeah, 0 interest in breaking ANY laws there. Death or Life in a Filipino prison doesn't sounds too appealing.

• Like 3

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

You're 100% right that laws must be followed, it's just that before anything can move forward it must be rescheduled from Schedule 1 substance.  It should also be noted that it was the CBD extracts they're talking about which doesn't get anyone high unlike THC.  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/04/23/604307015/anxiety-relief-without-the-high-new-studies-on-cbd-a-cannabis-extract

"Even if you live in a state where marijuana use is legal, the federal Drug Enforcement Administration still classifies the CBD extract as a Schedule 1 substance — the DEA's most restricted category. According to the agency, "Schedule I drugs, substances or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse."

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

You are a young man of 31. You can squeak by on 70k per month for now but inflation will reduce your purchasing power over time. You could be in very rough shape if you live another 40 years and only have 70k per month to live on. Think about it.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ElevenSeries said:

Yeah, I could bring my VA prescribed pills I suppose, If i notice myself going downhill, But I should be fine as long as I am keeping busy.    Yeah, 0 interest in breaking ANY laws there. Death or Life in a Filipino prison doesn't sounds too appealing.

That would be the smart thing to do, I'd check when you first get there, were the best hospitals are that can treat your condition and supply your prescribed medication. Also I'd be inclined to declare your medication when you first land, they should register that you bought medication into the country, could save a lot of hassle down along the track.

On a lighter note: don't worry about keeping busy, plenty of sight seeing to do and sweet things to sample for a young bloke. Enjoy your stay. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Thanks 2

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Lou49 said:

You are a young man of 31. You can squeak by on 70k per month for now but inflation will reduce your purchasing power over time. You could be in very rough shape if you live another 40 years and only have 70k per month to live on. Think about it.

It is a soft budget sir.  I should be  fine on what i'm living on so i can keep saving more in the bank.  If not, I would CLEARLY be doing everything wrong. 

31 minutes ago, Clermont said:

That would be the smart thing to do, I'd check when you first get there, were the best hospitals are that can treat your condition and supply your prescribed medication. Also I'd be inclined to declare your medication when you first land, they should register that you bought medication into the country, could save a lot of hassle down along the track.

On a lighter note: don't worry about keeping busy, plenty of sight seeing to do and sweet things to sample for a young bloke. Enjoy your stay. 

Thanks for that info...Good to know ahead of time...Preventative maintenance.

• Like 1

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted

@Old55  Just noticed that Edit. Apologies for that.  It's an Army/Infantry thing I picked up, Profanity has been ingrained into my natural way of talking. I don't mean it to be offensive. I should probably  work on not talking that way anyways, I wouldn't want to  blurt something out like that  where a local might get pissed at me or think I was directing it towards them.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, ElevenSeries said:

@Old55  Just noticed that Edit. Apologies for that.  It's an Army/Infantry thing I picked up, Profanity has been ingrained into my natural way of talking. I don't mean it to be offensive. I should probably  work on not talking that way anyways, I wouldn't want to  blurt something out like that  where a local might get pissed at me or think I was directing it towards them.

It's OK, frankly one of those words I sometimes unthinkingly post. Actually I kinda am known as the forums village idiot.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

It's OK, frankly one of those words I sometimes unthinkingly post. Actually I kinda am known as the forums village idiot.

That's my job. :89:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1