Expat-to-be...A few questions

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

quick trip to Guam

A good idea, but needs a lot of research, Guam is a territory and falls under Federal law. I am not sure if they could legalize some things even if they wanted to, just a thought

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, ElevenSeries said:

Cure seems like a stretch...but I have had some small success with microdosing MDMA.  Sadly, that is also Highly Illegal over there in the Phil's. An I think that doing what I can to not wind up dead or in jail over there is a solid base for a plan. 

That is what the studies on using MDMA to treat PTSD are showing. For many study participants it was a a cure for their PTSD that has lasted many months to years. You only take the MDMA once or twice during a psychotherapy session. Therefor you could get treated before you move to the Philippines full time to reduce your PTSD while there.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If it is a legal medical treatment in the US (which is news to me but I am following what Earthdome said) then a quick trip to Guam and back is not out of the question for occasional treatment.

As far as I know treating PTSD with MDMA is not yet legal in the US. But studies in the US and other nations are showing very promising results and more and more studies are being done. It is very likely this will become an approved treatment within a few years. In the meantime I have heard that there are broad studies of using MDMA to treat PTSD in Canada that are very easy to get accepted into.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

in Canada

Well thats different.  In Canada you can find it at any rave party. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted

MDMA is mostly therapy based, most sessions are drugless therapy sessions.  Therapy is by far the most effective treatment for PTSD that has helped people who have gone through decades of abuse and/or unimaginable torture.  Often people get assigned a mismatched therapist and never realize it, yet if you're not seeing any results consider changing to the opposite gender for a few sessions.  I would love for a pill to come out that makes PTSD go away but a lot of this stuff only treats one individual symptom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AwesomeLife said:

MDMA is mostly therapy based, most sessions are drugless therapy sessions.  Therapy is by far the most effective treatment for PTSD that has helped people who have gone through decades of abuse and/or unimaginable torture.  Often people get assigned a mismatched therapist and never realize it, yet if you're not seeing any results consider changing to the opposite gender for a few sessions.  I would love for a pill to come out that makes PTSD go away but a lot of this stuff only treats one individual symptom.

I have the same questions with relation to this.  Which aspect of PTSD does this "cure"?  As many of you know, PTSD is not a condition in and of itself but rather a term that defines the combined psychological results of any, or the culmination of critical incident/s.  Depression, ASD or acute stress disorder, GAD or general anxiety disorder, and in extreme cases long term psychosis,  the symptoms of which I'm not going to go into here, plus many more; are all aspects of PTSD by themselves or in combination.  I wish there was a magic bullet but there's not. 

Anyway, back to the OP:  Go and get a dive ticket either at home or in PI.  In my experience of diving in The Philippines, they are every bit as professional and expert as anywhere in the world.  PADI certification is PADI certification, and the companies that are involved with PADI are audited regularly.  It will open up an entire new world for you of relaxation, social interaction and a sense of community as well as experiencing the some of the best eco-tourism on the planet.  I did most of my dive training in the navy but I completed my advanced open water in PI and the community there is awesome.  Outside The Maldives, Australia and Micronesia/Mariana/Marshall islands The Philippines has some places that are on a par with the previously mentioned locations.  WWII wreck diving, is incredible around Subic and Leyte.

Just as an aside the SAO (short angry one), my Filipina partner, has learnt to swim and is about to start her dive courses.  Yep we're already strong in our relationship but this will be something we can share rather than her sitting on the beach while I'm having all the fun. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I have the same questions with relation to this.  Which aspect of PTSD does this "cure"?  As many of you know, PTSD is not a condition in and of itself but rather a term that defines the combined psychological results of any, or the culmination of critical incident/s.  Depression, ASD or acute stress disorder, GAD or general anxiety disorder, and in extreme cases long term psychosis,  the symptoms of which I'm not going to go into here, plus many more; are all aspects of PTSD by themselves or in combination.  I wish there was a magic bullet but there's not. 

Anyway, back to the OP:  Go and get a dive ticket either at home or in PI.  In my experience of diving in The Philippines, they are every bit as professional and expert as anywhere in the world.  PADI certification is PADI certification, and the companies that are involved with PADI are audited regularly.  It will open up an entire new world for you of relaxation, social interaction and a sense of community as well as experiencing the some of the best eco-tourism on the planet.  I did most of my dive training in the navy but I completed my advanced open water in PI and the community there is awesome.  Outside The Maldives, Australia and Micronesia/Mariana/Marshall islands The Philippines has some places that are on a par with the previously mentioned locations.  WWII wreck diving, is incredible around Subic and Leyte.

Just as an aside the SAO (short angry one), my Filipina partner, has learnt to swim and is about to start her dive courses.  Yep we're already strong in our relationship but this will be something we can share rather than her sitting on the beach while I'm having all the fun. 

MDMA is most likely so effective because it's using highly trained elite therapists, otherwise one could just take the street "drug".  The CBD extract mentioned in the NPR article says its for anxiety and pain.  You make some great points about dives and I think that's the what the Phil's is all about.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

As a disclaimer, just make sure you sight your dive master's/company's compliance certificate and check for authenticity.  Once you're PADI certified, you'll know what to look for.  There are a lot of dive tour operators in PI that make false claim to their certification. 

• Thanks 2

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

As a disclaimer, just make sure you sight your dive master's/company's compliance certificate and check for authenticity.  Once you're PADI certified, you'll know what to look for.  There are a lot of dive tour operators in PI that make false claim to their certification. 

Diving is Most Definitely on my list of things to do, even though I've never done it before.  That WWII Wreck diving sounds hella fun!  Sounds like it would be a good  way to escape the PTSD also an keep me busy.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I've got a Norwegian  bell divers certificate ,does that count?