Expat-to-be...A few questions

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've got a Norwegian  bell divers certificate ,does that count?

Is that anything like a beaver divers certificate?

Spoiler

Minds out of the gutter, boys.  Its a real thing but I'll let you google "certified beaver diver" if you like :whistling:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is that anything like a beaver divers certificate?

I think I read that Jake has a muff diving certificate ? :shades:

• Haha 5
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, AwesomeLife said:

You're 100% right that laws must be followed, it's just that before anything can move forward it must be rescheduled from Schedule 1 substance.  It should also be noted that it was the CBD extracts they're talking about which doesn't get anyone high unlike THC.  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/04/23/604307015/anxiety-relief-without-the-high-new-studies-on-cbd-a-cannabis-extract

"Even if you live in a state where marijuana use is legal, the federal Drug Enforcement Administration still classifies the CBD extract as a Schedule 1 substance — the DEA's most restricted category. According to the agency, "Schedule I drugs, substances or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse."

Hemp-derived CBD is allowed under Federal law in the US. It is a small loophole. It's legal only from imported hemp. Hemp doesn't contain high amounts of psychoactive THC.

The Senate Majority Leader, however, is introducing a bill to legalize hemp cultivation int the US, so that might change. It's about time. Hemp used to be a big crop here, even the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper.

Me, I've been taking legal CBD for a week and a half and I seem to be sleeping better.

As for PTSD, I hear a trip on magic mushrooms under supervision can be very helpful.

Edited by Reboot

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

I heard also that MDMA (extasy) can be working quite well also on a PTSD. 

blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 5/1/2018 at 4:38 PM, AwesomeLife said:

Just playing devil's advocate; U.S. marijuana use is still illegal at the Federal level yet most states allow it for medical use and to a lesser extent, for recreational use.  Who knows, maybe some day soon the VA will start distributing it as medicine to PTSD patients!

Just like the Canadians do for their PTSD vets for free

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, ElevenSeries said:

Some specific questions I have for everyone are..

1.  Most obvious, Where would be a good Home base so to speak So I could experience everything im into. It would be great to explore other Islands or remote locations.   

2.  How safe is it for me to travel Solo?     Part 2A, Being that Im 1. A Veteran and 2.  I'm Covered in tattoos...Really, How safe will I be solo? I also have 1 military related tattoo that is super visable.   From waht i've herd/read, It just makes me a target ( being a vet more than the tattoos).  My PTSD  makes me super hypervigilant and weary of people already. 

3. Aside from Cebu and Manilla being on my list of places to explore, where else should I go given the interests i've listed?
4. Anything I should completely stay away from or avoid? Aside from the Illegal shit.  I ain't gonna get Death Squaded. Lol
5.  Whats the most effective way to handle money out there... as far as how much to carry, storage, and accessing it from my US account?

Im sure I'll have more questions, figured i'd get a good solid base going first. Thanks in advance.

1. With your limited budget & PTSD, you may want to consider someplace in the province, near a hospital that accepts the VA's Foreign Medical Program without an upfront payment. Many Expats reside in La Union which is near Lorma Hospital who accepts Service Connected FMP Patients.

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?id=682

2. One will hear many locals use the Tagalog word "Marumi" (Dirty) when they see some one with Tattoos. Many believe if a female has a Tat, they work in a bar environment, Men been in jail. Very few of the younger generation is slowly accepting Tats. I have no Tats but attend the annual Dutdutan Tat festival in Manila for the beer, music, sights, etc. http://www.dutdutan.com.ph

If your PTSD  makes you super hypervigilant and weary of people already then the PI may not be for you. The constant stares at Foreigners, swarms of store employees following youwhen you shop could make you snap.

3. With your budget, some place affordable. It's becoming very expensive here.

4. Learn the laws, do not do anything illegal.

5. ATM's. I have 2 US Credit Unions, an ATM Debit Card for each. I can transfer funds between each Credit Union using the computer. In the event I lose 1 ATM card, I can transfer funds then  use the ATM card from the other Credit Union. PENFED is a good one for Vets. Best to have a ATM Debit Cards with the Chips embedded in them. ATM machines no longer accept the ATM Cards without the chip.

• Like 3

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Rooster said:

1. With your limited budget & PTSD, you may want to consider someplace in the province, near a hospital that accepts the VA's Foreign Medical Program without an upfront payment. Many Expats reside in La Union which is near Lorma Hospital who accepts Service Connected FMP Patients.

3. With your budget, some place affordable. It's becoming very expensive here.

1. It's a 'Soft budget',  while I plan to 'try' and stay within this budget for almost All my expenses.  Minus Visa renewals. I can add more to this budget if I have too.  Judging from what I've read and the weeks of research so far...I honestly shouldn't have too. Unless I plan to live like royalty...which I dont...more than happy with a sleeping bag and a foxhole...although that is NOT the plan. Might just give you an idea of what I'm comfortable with.

If your PTSD  makes you super hypervigilant and weary of people already then the PI may not be for you. The constant stares at Foreigners, swarms of store employees following youwhen you shop could make you snap.

While it does make me Hypervigilant...its not to the point where I'm deathly afraid of people.  If I can make it in the inner city of Chicago, Packed Metal concerts, and packed Demolition Derbys ( my job )..I should be okay...I'll have my VA pills as a backup. Also, i think it will act as a form of Prolonged Exposure Therapy ( which helped my issues with confined spaces an being claustrophobic)  VA docs literally made me ride an elevator up and down in the VA for the whole day.  If it gets to be to much, just head back to my room and regroup. I'm also factoring in where I want to go also.. going to avoid Manilla if I can (for my initial trip) to help also.  Looking into Cebu, PG, Subic Bay..etc...something not too far off the beaten path. 

4. Learn the laws, do not do anything illegal

Definitely dont plan on it...not there to cause problems for myself.

5. ATM's. I have 2 US Credit Unions, an ATM Debit Card for each. I can transfer funds between each Credit Union using the computer. In the event I lose 1 ATM card, I can transfer funds then  use the ATM card from the other Credit Union. PENFED is a good one for Vets. Best to have a ATM Debit Cards with the Chips embedded in them. ATM machines no longer accept the ATM Cards without the chip.

Sounds good. I'll be looking into at least 1 credit union. 

Thanks for taking the time to give some solid advice. Its appreciated, an I'm still in the learning/ pre planning stages!

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ElevenSeries said:

I should be okay...I'll have my VA pills as a backup. 

Will your Chicago VA issue you months in advance meds? The last time I was at the VA in the States, the max they would issue for any meds was 2 months. Medical care here at The VA Clinic in Manila for Service Connected issues totally changed for FY2018 and beyond and now the VA Clinic is only funded until October 2018. We now are required to be enrolled in The Foreign Medical Program. The VA Manila clinic does sometimes prescribe meds for service connected issues and sometimes they run out of stock. Another consideration is if you are not P&T, and or no future exams, your time spent here could be very short.   

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Rooster said:

ATM machines no longer accept the ATM Cards without the chip.

That's debatable as my GF is using hers fine but having said that she picked up her new chip card today so I guess they are phasing out the old. 

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That's debatable as my GF is using hers fine but having said that she picked up her new chip card today so I guess they are phasing out the old. 

Is your GF's ATM Card issued by a PI Bank?  If yes, perhaps that's why it still works. My US issued ATM cards and other Expats I know stopped working here months ago and the reason the banks gave is no chip. Now that I have Chip embedded Debit cards, no problem at any ATM machines.