Disabled vet expat-to-be: Wants expat friendly beachfront but no children?

TunaT
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I knew a couple who got up to about 78 but none that I knew well made it past that age.  Could be because I just don't socialize with people over 80 but I don't think that is the case as I have belonged to a couple of group with members of all ages and none of them were over 80.  Could it be that they all stay home and vegetate when they get to age 80?  Hmmm, methinks they just kick of early over here, but best of luck to a few of my friends who are mid 70's :whistling:  we won't write them off prematurely.

My wife says I will live to be 105, should I tell her she is wrong ? I don't just sit at home and vegetate, I just don't have a need or desire to seek out any groups approval. advise , or input. I am old enough to think for myself. I am way passed the peer pressure age. Stick around sonny, maybe you'll see my 100th birthday add in the newspaper someday. Many here are way too young for me, we'd have little in common. Well, I guess it's time for this old geezer to get back into his rocking chair. LOL . And only because I like rocking chairs. Always have. Rock on. :o)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TunaT said:

My wife says I will live to be 105, should I tell her she is wrong

Don't bother.  We'll break it to her gently when the time comes. :1927_:

1 hour ago, TunaT said:

Stick around sonny, maybe you'll see my 100th birthday add in the newspaper someday.

Not likely.  I won't live that long.  :hystery: I'm only 10 years behind you and I won't see 90. 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It's probably the question that we all have pondered " will I have enough money to see me through my retirement " ,none of us know in advance as to when we will expell our last breath , I have to wait another 5.5 years before I get my gov pension which at the moment is something like £650.00 a month , I'm meeting my pension guy next week to find out how much is in that pot ,I think that there is enough for me to live on in the Phil's for about 20 years as long as I don't go mad spending it on girls etc 

Its that one big question that none of us know the answer to.

I work in hospitals ,some of them are palitive care units ,others are what we call a hospice ,I've seen a lot of death close up ,yesterday I was talking to a guy who won't see July,  he is 3 years younger than me ,I told him of my ideas about the Phil's, he told me ,I've got a pension that I will not be able to spend , I wish I could have done some big adventure.

So we can only answer the pension/ death question ourselves, it's a gamble , life's a gamble , life is short ,death is infinite 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

So we can only answer the pension/ death question ourselves, it's a gamble , life's a gamble , life is short ,death is infinite 

While life is a gamble, there is no harm in having a plan that you may need to adjust once a year, or once every five years.  Philippines is part of our plans in the event either my wife or I or both require caregiver services. Hopefully it never happens.  In the meantime, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• Like 5

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Me and my gf plan to 'retire' (I'm only 28 lol) in Guimaras soon, have a look. Loads of cheap land, $10k per hecatre if you don't mind a rural location, friendly people, nice beaches and a fairly big ex-pat community.
They're supposedly building a big bridge there in a few years too which should increase property values.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:  + beer sori sori.jpg = 70 years old in 2 weeks  i'll drink to that :cheersty:  :smile:

and don't look a day older than 78

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Like a lot of you I have wondered how long will I live and how much money do I need? Most of us go over on a pension of sorts + a bit of a nest egg. I treat that nest egg as it is, for emergency use only and the pension for living expenses. A no brainer really, if you can't live on your pension over there, you certainly can't live on it back home. My advice live within your means and over there you will live a comfortable life, plenty of info to make a formal decision written throughout these posts to costs of living in the PI's. :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've got a meeting with my pension guy on Thursday to find out how good or how bad my pension is , looking to budget on.12k a year for the Phil's 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've got a meeting with my pension guy on Thursday to find out how good or how bad my pension is , looking to budget on.12k a year for the Phil's 

Just another consideration - if you're income is in GBP you will need to keep a cautionary eye on exchange rates. The 12k budget 2 years ago would now be around 10k just based on exchange rates.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Just another consideration - if you're income is in GBP you will need to keep a cautionary eye on exchange rates. The 12k budget 2 years ago would now be around 10k just based on exchange rates.

And the inflation rate which is about 4.5% at the moment.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic