Civility as an expat dealing with Filipinos

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Expat-To-Be brought up a great point in regards to manors dealing with Filipinos.

I've always tended to be very polite and respectful anytime I deal with Filipinos during our visits there. It seemed correct as Filipino culture is more formal if you don't know the person especially as a visitor. Is this still true in general day to day dealings? Or is that becoming a thing of the past?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Is this still true in general day to day dealings?

I would say so, when dealing with folks in a social or business setting, but (at least in Metro Manila) when walking down the street or driving, or standing in line with complete strangers, folks are just as rude as in New York or any other big city. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

It seemed correct as Filipino culture is more formal

Only when it suits them, If they move off the written Script they can be as antaganistic as we get blamed for BUT it still pays to remain civil where we can :unsure:

Jack:smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Filipino culture is more formal if you don't know the person especially as a visitor.

7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Only when it suits them

True that.  I have noticed "mature" (as in over 40) Filipinas make nasty comments about visitors they don't know.  Usually it revolves around relationships and babies.  (Abridged Example:  "Look at that girl with that foreigner and that filipino baby and he probably does not even know it is not his.  I better say something.")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I tend to ascribe to the dying art of treat others how you want to be treated. 

As you have attended one our meetings in Dumaguete you can attest that our Regular server has a good sense of Humour and gives and takes all the Jokes, I quite agree with your comments  that in some cases the Civility we show is not always returned :smile:

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

in some cases the Civility we show is not always returned :smile:

Yep, I agree.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I would say so, when dealing with folks in a social or business setting, but (at least in Metro Manila) when walking down the street or driving, or standing in line with complete strangers, folks are just as rude as in New York or any other big city. 

May I ask if in New York is it common practice when opening a large swing door, say in a mall one just opens door  and forgets, regardless even if aware people are immediatly behind. This irks me as is definitely not the practice in most western countries. 

Yet if one is stranded here with a flat or break down away from the cities people come out of the wood work to help which would not always be the case in western countries, swings and roundabouts.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

if one is stranded here with a flat or break down away from the cities people come out of the wood work to help

I have experienced that and totally agree.  Its not a fun situation to be in but the people around are generally quite helpful AND it not always about the money.

• Like 2