Civility as an expat dealing with Filipinos

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I try to get along with everyone, and usually it is no problem... but yeah, sometimes you got to be extra careful with locals.  Many are very thinned skinned. They take offense very easily (because they want to ha ha). 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/27/2018 at 11:55 AM, lobojohn said:

yes its very normal here and one of my pet peeves , but ive been pleased to see as many clerks push them back to their own places verbally. wheres theres room for one at a counter there will be 4-5 there with their arms stretched out in in front of you to be served? hahahahaaha if its in your local town and you are known to be a fair guy to all,  then its quite ok to ask them to wait their turn. politely , but firmly. 

Must be where we live. Personally I have not experienced this but maybe I'm in a different place. The only strange or even perhaps funny thing I witness is once I was in line to check in for the flight back home and an old woman in front or maybe behind decided (forget) that she was with me. Moved her bag next to mind and stood by me. I tried to move away but she kept it up. A security guard was watching and said something to her but no idea what it was but made no difference.. As we got to the counter she luckily did her thing and we parted  and if not I guess I would be living with someone old enough to be my grandma.  

Such is life. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I am not going to let the "me first" crowd in the third lane squeeze in in front of me!

Watch it.  These guys are smart.  I have tried to be aggressive about not letting them in but what they do is ease alongside you and squeeze left so that their mirror is in front of yours.  If you move forward then your rhs mirror hits their lfs mirror and you "hit them".  Now its your fault.  Had a big verbal argument with a jeepney driver who tried that one on with me but he decided to "let me go" without calling the police as he probably knew there was no damage done so no harm no foul, just a mad traffic cop if he called one.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

and if not I guess I would be living with someone old enough to be my grandma. 

Don't knock it Tom, many a fine tune has been played on an old fiddle. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Watch it.  These guys are smart.  I have tried to be aggressive about not letting them in but what they do is ease alongside you and squeeze left so that their mirror is in front of yours.  If you move forward then your rhs mirror hits their lfs mirror and you "hit them".  Now its your fault.  Had a big verbal argument with a jeepney driver who tried that one on with me but he decided to "let me go" without calling the police as he probably knew there was no damage done so no harm no foul, just a mad traffic cop if he called one.

I won't go at it with a jeepney.  They are built to take a beating and my cars are not!  In yesterday's case, it is a road with not many jeepneys and the third lane was composed of almost all private vehicles, although a bus took that route for a short time.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The queing thing is an interesting one. It is mostly observed here, albeit with exceptions such as getting on a jeepney. But, plenty are just plain rude and want to jump - not a cultural thing IMO, just simple bad manners. Same happens in Hong Kong and the UK but slightly less often.

A bugbear I have is in places like the BIR they have a ticket system - it's only observed loosely and plenty of queue jumping goes on. Simple enough to fix - stick to serving only the person with the correct ticket number. I'm of the opinion this is done partly to create chaos which allows staff to take extended breaks and generally skive off work.

I guess the basic relaxed attitude to time encourages the lack of discipline here.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess the basic relaxed attitude to time encourages the lack of discipline here.

:thumbsup: Oh yes and that of course, is where it all starts :wink:

• Sad 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I personally think it is braking down in the television age.  I call it the television age because on my first visit to Palompon Leyte in 1994, they had TV in the park at night. Hundreds of people gathering around a single TV. Tv was rare then and exposure to other cultures was rare. Now in the Philippines, every one has TV at home. And everyone is exposed to other cultures on TV. So now, despite the heat,  you have young men and teenagers wearing beanies and hoodies because that is what their TV heros wear.

For myself, I have not always followed this but now try very hard to. Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time. It makes life in the Philippines go smoother.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1