British documents authenticating

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Any Brit looking to apply for a retirement visa will require documents authenticated by the Philippines Embassy in the UK. Currently these documents must be handed over in person which is a serious pain.

I was incorrectly informed that I just go to the British Embassy in Manila to get it done. It turns out like passport renewal our Embassy does not carry out this procedure.

I've tried my best sympathy email to see if they will relent and allow me to sent all documents by recorded delivery. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

incorrectly informed

so snow, do you get the impression that a retirement visa should be executed prior to moving? for future members

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

so snow, do you get the impression that a retirement visa should be executed prior to moving? for future members

I'd recommend certainly getting all documents authenticated. The British Embassy here in the Philippines don't appear to carry out the same tasks as other countries Embassies. 

You'll still have to get them red ribboned by the Department of Foreign Affairs in the Philippines though, and also open a retirement authority approved bank. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Philippines don't appear to carry out the same tasks as other countries Embassies. 

I think it's pretty much the same all over regarding embassies. To me it's like a convenience store without any products but such is life. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I had the same problem with my US Retirement Visa. Philippines wanted the documents authenticated by the Philippines Embassy  in Los Angeles California and I lived in Houston which is 1,500 miles away. Apostilling service cost $100 a page so authenticating would be a major waste of money. When I got to Manila, I was told to go to the US Embassy and get them to notarize my sworn statement that the documents were authentic and this was accepted by the Philippines Retirement Authority. Cost was $50 plus taxi from Makati to the US Embassy and back. 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think it's pretty much the same all over regarding embassies. To me it's like a convenience store without any products but such is life. :tiphat:

The Embassies are not here for us,they are here to promote business.All of my documents had to be sent back to the UK.For us Embassies are a waste of time.

• Like 4