Why Do You Live Where You Live?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Is it because the asawa lives there? 

Do you just love it? 

There's a closer connection to your country of origin?

Medical?

Expense?

Environment?

The family of my wife does live here.  That is a mixed blessing.

Yes, I just love it here.  The people are warm, friendly, and accepting.  I have always felt welcome.

No real connection to my country of origin (USA).  I know only a couple of expats, one of whom is a USA citizen.

Medical - extremely limited here, closest real hospital is Cebu City (2 1/2 to 3 hours away).

Expense -  Between provincial and big city.  Reasonable by Philippine standards, but not cheap.

Environment - We live in a somewhat secluded area by the sea, nice breeze, clean air, almost no traffic, very little noise.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We lived in Cebu city for 11` months then we moved to southern cebu in Dalaguete.That place was ok but if we wanted any paperwork we had to either go to Cebu city or come here to Dumaguete.Food was very limited in the varieties and availability there.One day you could get bread but no butter or cornflakes but no milk.We moved here and I can get more or less everything we want.Good schools and hospitals good restaurants etc.3 km up the road and I can be in the back of beyond 3km down the road and I can have a city life.20 minutes and I can be on a pristine beach which is very clean.Oh also Jack buys me a beer now and again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Yolonder told us had to be the latter.

Yes, I forgot that.  She is one of the primary reasons I ended up in Dumaguete.  I decided I don't like stormy weather.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RBM said:

After tolerating the squalor and traffic of Cebu for  over 3 years we decided either Ormoc City or San Carlos city

Ormoc would have been the better city in the case of hospitals. I heard terrible stuff about the hospitals in San Carlos City (NegOcc) being undermanned and have inequate personel. I heard even of several cases where relatives had to bribe the ambulance car driver for rushing patients to Dumaguete.

In my case I can still not decide where to live in the future. My wife stated to me that she do no longer want to live in the Philippines full time due the hospital issue. This makes the situation even worse.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think later in life remoteness and availability of medical care become much more of an issue. We are currently thinking of Bataan where the mother, brothers and sisters live, we have a couple of lots, one is 400 sq m with a small house and on the opposite side of the road a second lot of 250 sq m. It is a rural barungy but 30 minutes from Subic or 2 hours from Manila with an expressay within a couple of kilometres, so access to goodish healthcare and amenities are good. We also have about 6 hectares or sugarcane land north of Dumaguete, is high up with a great view across to Bias and Cebu Island, but it is very remote. It would be an idyllic place to live but accessibility is poor. To go to anything more than a sari sari store you would need to drive for an hour into Dumaguete which is limited compared to Bataan and also very mediocre healthcare. I did see they are building a new hospital though. The other problem would be the extended family nearby. They would treat us as the classic atm. Another option, also family related would be Baybay on Leyte where the mother in law comes from, again a bit remote should an emergency happen. We haven't had any money pressures from the family in Bataan so it is looking like the favourite but if we did the wife would be the first to say lets live somewhere else. We have friends in Batangas so that has been mooted as a possibility. Our house on Negros we will use as a holiday home for the occasional visit.

• Like 3