Plumbing Headache! Any ideas?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

it would seem that once again we can have a differing of opinions but I will still say that the Pipes should come under Structural issues and remain the problem of the Actual owner

Agree that we have differing opinions. :7500:  Good thing we are never going to lease a house or car from each other. :hystery:

From my point of view, regarding a 50 year lease, the only reason for it's existence in Philippines is because foreigners cannot "own" homes, so if I was to sell lease someone a home on a 50 year lease I would want the full value of the home and it would be yours to do what you want with it.  At the end of the 50 years the heirs of the original lessor would get a back the land with whatever is left of the house.  But that is just my opinion so feel free to disagree.  BUT it doesn't get Don's plumbing done.  I do agree with you that the actual owner should be the one to fix the house . . . . in 50 years when he gets it back :hystery::hystery::hystery:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif::89: OMW I have to ask, is this really your problem? The problem to me is that it is not your House but Rented/leased and to me, it is a Structural thing, Inside i would say yes it would be your problem But............................:mellow:

He did say it's in the lease so its signed and agreed too. 

Off topic now but I wonder what happens if it burns down.Yes I know OMW said you could tear it down and build better but what if you did not have the funds to build better or at all?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Agree. I have been searching some lease agreements on vehicles I have leased and all (4) have been  on Full maintenance (Subject to oil & other day to day issues)

I do not want to enter any arguments but have to say that all of them were even with yearly Tests, taxing and even 3rd party Insurance  To me it would seem that once again we can have a differing of opinions but I will still say that the Pipes should come under Structural issues and remain the problem of the Actual owner :smile:

A lease is simply a contract to take control of an asset for a certain time period, usually between two parties, with terms they agree to. 

Practices vary by country.  For instance, the vehicle leases you mention would be unusual in the U.S.  Most vehicle leases in the U.S. make the lessee responsible for all maintenance and also have mileage limits.  If you go over the mileage limit, you pay extra per mile.  If you return the car in poor condition and have not done the required maintenance, you will have a big penalty.

In the U.S., where maintenance is included in a lease, it is probably because the manufacturer is also including X years maintenance for all new cars, leased or purchased.  In the U.S., that was a popular marketing tool a while back but I think if fell off now.

Back to my case, a long term lease with the government, all the lessees here accept that they will have to fix anything as needed, and that they also have the right to modify the property, as long as they get a building permit.  I can tear my place down and rebuild it from scratch, as long as I get a permit.

If a property needs a lot of work, the long term lease will be discounted a lot.  Only a few units here are actually offered for lease by SBMA (Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority) and those are ones that have been repossessed due to non-performance of a lessee.  The leases themselves are bought and sold on the open market at market price agreed by the two parties.  SBMA gets a 5% fee every time a lease changes hands.

Some lessees are deadbeats.  I have 3 units behind me that are in complete disrepair and I have complained about them.  One of the owners is connected and just gets away with leaving them like this.  They are probably worth 2 million each if they have 30+ years left on the lease.  Buy one, tear it down, build it back, and it might be worth 7+.

And so it goes here in SBFZ! :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Don,  for your best bet long lasting use PPR,...It is available at most plumbing supplies in our areas and Wilcon sells the pipe, fittings, and the tool to fuse it together.  Its a thick walled white and sometimes green pipe.  Most I have seen here is white.  I'm sure a good plumber will know what PPR is and where to get it.  Not over expensive and you could also use it for a temp repair.  Here's a link to what it looks like although I'm not sure Fusion is the same brand available in PI.    http://fusionindia.com/product/ppr-pipe-and-fittings/    

good luck

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We used it to run the length of the garden from the well to the back of the house. We had to find a plumber who knew how the do it, he will usually have his own heater, if not I suspect he is BSing you. We just put up a 10m tower on our ajacent land and had to leave before it was plumbed up. Left strick instructions and a drawn plan. Completely ignored and had to pay the plumber to fix his shoddy work.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I'm sure a good plumber will know what PPR is and where to get it.

Now there is the hard part; finding a good plumber!

I asked my extremely wealthy but down to earth Filipino neighbor across the street if he could recommend a plumber.  They also have a leak.  He said "I can't recommend any we have used!".

A few years ago we used a guy who has worked on these houses since the Navy was here, so he knows the ins and outs of the houses.  However, I don't think he uses any modern techniques and he is old, retired.  We did not pay that time but my wife said he was expensive.

• Like 2