Heirloom Seeds

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

as far as i know seeds cant be imported to the filipins.. is this true. practically all of the foods grown here are hybrids and not as near as delicious or nutritious as veggies grown from heirloom seeds. plus you cant grow the seeds again. all thanks to dupont and monsanto and mobile oil.

as a life long gardener ive found this very frustrating indeed.. does anyone know where i can get heirloom seeds for any veggie varieties? so far none of the US companies ive made enquirers to have even replied..

remember the incredible smells of real tomatoes? peppers? the taste of silver queen corn? tender delicious pole beans cooked in fat back? crook-necked yellow squash sauteed in butter and onions? omg.. im so home sick for real veggies and actual dirt.. hahahahaha

not to mention soft shell crab sandwiches or Chesapeake Bay hard crab feasts.. :)

Heirloom Seeds? anybody?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some people I know have tried to grow seeds from "back home" and not had any luck.  Changes in climate and soil and the microbes in the soil all contributed to failure.  But maybe someone has had success?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I’m amazed you haven’t been able to order seeds from outside Philippines. Very odd.

We have tried tomato seeds in Cebu grown in a hanging basket. Dave is correct many plants from America or Europe do poorly in Philippines.

John, if you do Facebook look up Philippines horticulture society a very nice group. They may be the ones to answer those questions.

Good luck.

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info ill check it out on FB.. i even have a nephew here that is in the ag dept at UP who designs shipping boxes for veggies and fruits who wasnt able to help or even attempt to find out, so.... he cant think outside of the box ..

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, lobojohn said:

Thanks for the info

Drop a line (PM) to our member "Queenie @Queenie O. she seems to be a Guiding light on things gardening

Just a thought:smile:

Jack:whistling:

Morning All:photo-109: Having a little rain here in Dumaguete this morning ( Very Welcome I must Admit keeps the Dust down)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some people I know have tried to grow seeds from "back home" and not had any luck.  Changes in climate and soil and the microbes in the soil all contributed to failure.  But maybe someone has had success?

I sent to the Philippines about 400,000 Hawaiian Waimanalo Solo heirloom papaya seeds for free distribution to farmers. Bruce, another forum member, also sent heirloom seeds donated by a Florida seed company. This was our joint contribution after the super typhoon that hit Leyte, although the distribution was mostly in Northern Samar that was likewise devastated, but there was very little publicity. The feedback was the seeds did well, possibly because they were sourced from Hawaii and Florida where the climate and growing conditions are somewhat similar.

About 5 years ago, I met several organic farmers in the Philippines who are strong advocates for using heirloom seeds only which means there are sources.  No follow-up on my part since I gave up the idea of organic farming in the Philippines in retirement.  

If you are in Metro Manila or Cebu, visit the weekend Farmers Markets and talk to the sellers of organic vegetables and fruits. They might be able to help you.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No Dave not correct. I am certainly no Gardner however after spending heaps of time in Canlaon and observing the amount of sprays used decided enough is...

Bought back various seeds from NZ, now have lettuce which we are eating Roma type, my OS luvs them compared to local lettuces, tomatoes about 500 high and various others, so far 100% success and in hot season. I do water them several times a day and shade them. If I was home would post a picture.

The tomatoes and all plants planted from seeds, same time our maid planted local tomatoes, they are slightly ahead in height. No sprays of any kind d been used.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I ordered seeds from an online retailer after specifically searching for tomatoes bred to do well in the heat and humidity. I cannot stand the little green golfballs they call tomatoes here.

I also ordered some open head type lettuce that we were going to do hydroponically in cups since lettuce usually doesn't like the heat in the outdoors.

Unfortunately, I found out too late that the retailer I ordered from is known for having low-germinating seed stock. Another problem is that the third largest city in this country might as well be Mars for such common things as potting mix. Nothing germinated in my attempted potting mix or the rockwool hydroponic cubes. Whether it was me or them, I dunno.

I have another order from a very well-known seed company heading to our next BB box. I will have to order ingredients to make a decent potting mix from the NCR but I need my beefsteak tomatoes, man!

None of my seeds were "heirloom", though. 

We had some luck with talong (Asian eggplant) sown into the soil but, for all of its vaunted fame as the Fruit Basket of the Philippines, our soil is junk here in Davao. Whatever I can get to grow into a young plant will go into containers or small hydroponic setups.

• Like 2

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

thanks for so much great info folks.. im getting closer to my goal.. i do a lot of composting and manage to grow things that no one has been able to , plus i have one of only 2 yards here that is beautiful green grass. i cant stand a dirt yard.