Shipping Your Things

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, DonnyQ said:

Maybe I am missing something?

I am going from memory here so don't quote me on anything or tear my head off. If memory serves, UPS might be subject to VAT tax. I do know for a fact that several years ago, I ordered something from Amazon. It went UPS then ended with the Philippine postal service. I had to go to the post office, open the box and pay VAT. Just a possible reason.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, DonnyQ said:

Well, if they quote me, and I pay, they have to do it, right? I was worried I was looking a $5,000. I would rather buy a house and a vehicle with that money.

When I moved 5 years ago, I sent around 25 BB boxes at around $80 each so I spent around $2000 to send around 2000-2500 lbs.

How much weight will you have?

I brought stuff I should have left.  Maybe 500 lbs too much.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure how the OP got the quote he did, but I decided to check the UPS website.  I registered and requested a quote for a standard size BB box weight of 50 kilo and valued at USA $100.  The shipping cost was quoted at $707.50.  As for UPS sticking to a quote that does not make any sense, good luck with that, unless of course all your things are in a single box? 

Calculate Time and Cost_ UPS.pdf

Edited by Mike J

Clermont
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure what "all my things" means, but big brown is not going to ship much at all from U.S. to PH for $800, especially by air.  Some wires are crossed somewhere.  I worked for a competitor for 29 years so I know the biz.

For that price it would only be a smallish box by air, most boxes come by sea and even from Oz it can take up to 3 months, depending on how quick they fill the container. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, DonnyQ said:

It's only like 1,000 pesos. Well worth it. You have to do it in advance, so why not?

:56da64af91f92_23_11_602: Hope it works out, we know how they can change minds mid course EH? :smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was trying to upload this picture but I am getting errors again, so here is the linked picture.

The point of posting it is the statistics.  Over 7 million BB boxes per year!  I think I know Filipinos well enough to say that if there was a cheaper or faster or better way, they would find it.

Tax-Watch-102-Balikbayan-Boxes.jpg

• Like 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

When I moved 5 years ago, I sent around 25 BB boxes at around $80 each so I spent around $2000 to send around 2000-2500 lbs.

How much weight will you have?

I brought stuff I should have left.  Maybe 500 lbs too much.

Same. We did 12 by the red and white company at about $75 each. Packed to gills by my fastidious wife and taped completely over with clear plastic tape to hold the boxes together in case of droppage. We lost two dinner plates on the way, IIRC. 

[edit] I'm reminded that the 12 were the final possessions and that we'd done 10 before that.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 2