American shot and killed for refusing to buy locals beer.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a perfect example when you should just walk away from a situation. 

SILAY, Negros Occidental - An American national was shot dead by a fellow customer and his 18-year-old nephew at a restobar here on Tuesday night.

The 57-year-old victim, Eric Hendrickson, was having a drink when the suspects asked him for a bottle of beer.

Hendrickson refused the request, prompting the suspects to insult him in the local dialect, which the US national understood.

In the ensuing altercation, the elder suspect shot the victim several times on his head, causing his immediate death.

The suspects fled from the crime scene but were eventually cornered by cops.

Hendrickson, a resident of Iowa, visited Silay to work on the travel papers of his child, whom he planned to bring to the US.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/16/18/american-shot-dead-in-negros-bar-fight

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
changed link. Posted story

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Years ago I was in a crowded Bar & 2 locals asked could they sit at the same table as me & I said sure. They ordered beer & some pulutan then got up and departed.

Later, I asked for my bill. The 2 locals beer & pulutan was charged to my bill. The waitress said as they departed told her our friend would pay for their items............ I paid, lesson learned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Rooster said:

The waitress said as they departed told her our friend would pay for their items..

It happens a lot.  It's bad but it is what it is unfortunately

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

ive been here 10 years and ive never stepped foot in a bar.. prior to stopping drinking i did all of mine behind my own fence. "like lies, murdered bones never rest". i hope you can RIP SIR

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is a shock, I go there regularly for swimming and have never felt it could happen in this town.

Guess a couple lessons are, never go to local bars alone at this hour plus never argue in this type of environment. 

Can really feel for his little kid and guess wife or partner.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have seen it turn nasty when expats refuse to buy beer for the locals.The best thing is to get out of the bar and the locals way,situations can turn in a second here.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have seen it turn nasty when expats refuse to buy beer for the locals.The best thing is to get out of the bar and the locals way,situations can turn in a second here.

Kev, True. I've been told by friends and family to simply never be around Filipinos who are drinking including some of my own family members living there.

The actual refusal was not likely the cause it was the words that came after. He should have known better and walked away.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

situations can turn in a second here.

According to another site, the American was later followed and shot outside a hospital, here it says the two locals left the bar so I sit and wonder if there is more to this than meets the Eye, This is the 2nd Death in Sipalay ( a normally very quiet place) in a few days. Related?

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Land of the gentle people. 

• Hmm thinking 1