American shot and killed for refusing to buy locals beer.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Guess a couple lessons are, never go to local bars alone at this hour plus never argue in this type of environment. 

The only reference to when this occurred  I have seen is the word "night". Night could be 6.10 pm. Not sure if alone or with company would make much difference in a case like this.

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

Land of the gentle people.

where everyone has a gun , but expats.. (in theory)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Land of the gentle people. 

While sober. 

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

The ATM did not work so they shot it.

• Sad 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 5/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, scott h said:

hell, when I was in the army, we used to do that to sailors :hystery:

And when I was in the Navy we would do that to the Marines. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

The only reference to when this occurred  I have seen is the word "night". Night could be 6.10 pm. Not sure if alone or with company would make much difference in a case like this.

My thinking is these type of people would be reluctant to ask if the guy had company, he is more vulnerable alone. Guess if in this situation and it seemed theyes were spoiling for a fight I would try smiling buy a beer and get out quick. No room for heroics.

My guess would be he tried to argue to some degree, we shall never know can only hope for justice.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the lesson here is always "try" to have a what if plan before we go barhopping at night in the PI. Spending less than 200P for 2 Beers may have saved this guys life.

I've gone to many non Expat bars over the years. Except for ladies drinks, it's rare a local asks me to buy them a beer, but my plan ahead of time is that if I am asked i'll buy them a beer. Perhaps 1 beer will gain me a friend for life or they will reciprocate in another way. 

I wear no jewelry, watches, etc.  I never carry a wallet, only some money in my pocket. I know some guys who carry an old in case i get robbed wallet with a few hundred pesos. If they get robbed, they gladly give it away. I have a nice smart phone but rarely use it, if i go to the bars or out at night i take no phone or carry an old 900 pesos Nokia phone. My wife does the same. If thieves want it i'll gladly give it to them.

My compound/house has large walls, barbwire, lights, motion detectors, CCTV, steel doors. Not because I got home invaded but because I have the attitude that if i don't they will burglarize it.

Some Expat friends have had thieves place bamboo poles into open windows with hooks on them to steal purses, and items without entering the house. One guy said they put a rag on the end of the bamboo, rugby on the rag then touched it to the cell phones to steal his and his wifes I phones without entering the house.  

We can't mitigate all the threats here but having a "what if" plan ahead of time  may help.   

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, RBM said:

My thinking is these type of people would be reluctant to ask if the guy had company,

Not my experience when I witnessed this kind of thing they were insistent even though there were 3 of us. 

• Like 1