American shot and killed for refusing to buy locals beer.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

As it's now a "ber" month, the yearly influx of Christmas beggars is in full swing here in Davao. At a stoplight yesterday, a sweet little girl, about 10 or so, carrying a two-or-three-year old knocked on the taxi window until my wife's head shakes of "No" took hold.

I don't have children of my own and the act breaks my heart in two. I'd just open my wallet and let the poor thing take it all. I'm forever grateful for having a strong wife.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

It's that time of the year and if mates like Seth's continue to confront the children beggars that way, we will have another posting, "Foreigner found dead" posted. I for one keep my wallet in my front pocket with my hand on it when riding in jeeps or buses and I also keep a few 10 peso coins in the other. Like other posts, it's them pleading brown eyes that play on the heart strings and what is 20 cents, you'd have to add up 7/8 knockbacks to do you out of a beer. Let's all be jolly it is the time for giving and loving.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

Given the number of murders in London right now, we are safer here Guys.

Wrong place wrong time, would be my sad conclusion to this.

RIP.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's all gang on gang. Just as safe as ever for everybody else.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

It's all gang on gang. Just as safe as ever for everybody else.

Undoubtedly true, but things do tend to spread and innocent people get caught up in the "crossfire." 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Ram1957 said:

SILAY, Negros Occidental - An American national was shot dead by a fellow customer and his 18-year-old nephew at a restobar here on Tuesday night.

The 57-year-old victim, Eric Hendrickson, was having a drink when the suspects asked him for a bottle of beer.

Hendrickson refused the request, prompting the suspects to insult him in the local dialect, which the US national understood.

In the ensuing altercation, the elder suspect shot the victim several times on his head, causing his immediate death.

Interesting how such a serious and relevant topic can deteriorate to ridiculous comments.  May Eric Hendrickson rest in peace.  I do have one serious comment on the matter.  Many times I have been out walking with a Filipina and she said: "those boys just insulted us with their comments".  I tell her it is better to smile and pretend to not understand and keep walking than to give them an excuse to escalate the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Interesting how such a serious and relevant topic can deteriorate to ridiculous comments.  May Eric Hendrickson rest in peace.  I do have one serious comment on the matter.  Many times I have been out walking with a Filipina and she said: "those boys just insulted us with their comments".  I tell her it is better to smile and pretend to not understand and keep walking than to give them an excuse to escalate the situation.

The best thing Eric could have done was walk away. Good advice for anyone that should find themselves in a situation like that with locals. Most of the time it turns out bad for the foreigner!

• Like 1