Subic - Road Rage Incident

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2018 at 1:17 PM, RBM said:

Yes Dumaguete must be one of the worst smallish cities to drive....ride in.

It would be hard to beat Daet city RBM, bloody hard.

I don't drive here at night unless I really have to, and the other night I got caught at a restaurant and had to. Turning left into our driveway after indicating for a good 20 meters or more the motorcycles were still overtaking me on the left hand side, I was actually turning when a couple of them still passing.

Saying to myself everytime I get home, "Well you got back safely again without hitting anyone".

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

It would be hard to beat Daet city RBM, bloody hard.

I don't drive here at night unless I really have to, and the other night I got caught at a restaurant and had to. Turning left into our driveway after indicating for a good 20 meters or more the motorcycles were still overtaking me on the left hand side, I was actually turning when a couple of them still passing.

Saying to myself everytime I get home, "Well you got back safely again without hitting anyone".

Something similar happened to me a few months back, about to make a left turn indicators on for at least 20 to 30 meters. I just looked over my shoulder when a Ceres bus goes thundering past blasting his horn. If I just turned I would not be writing this now.  

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I was under the impression that as a foreigner we would always be the guilty party in case of an collision with a local, I was proven wrong a little while ago when I was doing a left hand turn and a motor cycle was overtaking me on the left hand side. I explained to the policeman that I had my indicator on and that I was doing below the speed limit. The cop nailed the rider for excessive speed and undue care,  but what really irritated the cop was this young bloke said that he knew some influental people and that he would be calling them, while this was happening I just stood there and said nothing.

When we left the police station my girlfriend told me that she went to school with most of the staff at the station and that they knew all of her family from church.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I was under the impression that as a foreigner we would always be the guilty party in case of an collision with a local, I was proven wrong a little while ago when I was doing a left hand turn and a motor cycle was overtaking me on the left hand side. I explained to the policeman that I had my indicator on and that I was doing below the speed limit. The cop nailed the rider for excessive speed and undue care,  but what really irritated the cop was this young bloke said that he knew some influental people and that he would be calling them, while this was happening I just stood there and said nothing.

When we left the police station my girlfriend told me that she went to school with most of the staff at the station and that they knew all of her family from church.

The old fairy tale, once upon a time fits this post. Just of late the police have had a different view on foreigners, must be something to do with so many police getting the bullet for scallywagging the foreigners and locals. 62 police relieved of their duties in July for accepting bribes or asking for them. The PI's are coming of age in the international  eyes for tourism and they are enforcing the laws that have been in place since the end of WW2. I remember seeing on SBS filipino news, the police had a blockade and anyone not wearing a helmet were taken to the police station and fined, not a handful, bloody heaps and all going crook. My suggestion to all, read up on PI laws, but when approached for doing something wrong, apologize, not argue and 9 out of 10 times you'll get a warning. From what I've read, the common laws are not much different than back in our home countries. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I was proven wrong a little while ago when I was doing a left hand turn and a motor cycle was overtaking me on the left hand side.

If I may be the one to say it, what you have proven is that your mileage will vary in Philippines.

I could introduce you to a fellow in Liloan, Cebu who was in the same situation with a different result.  The investigating cop told him it would be wise to give the motorcyclist money for his motorcycle damage and his injuries as the cost of a trial would be much more.  He also added that the foreigner needs to be more careful next time because if the motorcyclist had suffered a serious injury requiring hospitalization or worse then the foreigner would be taken to jail until the judge decided who was guilty.

So even if he was in the right, he could be in jail.  Two possible Morals:  Be bloody careful out there,  OR,  Cops are not lawyers or judges so be careful what you believe.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If I may be the one to say it, what you have proven is that your mileage will vary in Philippines.

I could introduce you to a fellow in Liloan, Cebu who was in the same situation with a different result.  The investigating cop told him it would be wise to give the motorcyclist money for his motorcycle damage and his injuries as the cost of a trial would be much more.  He also added that the foreigner needs to be more careful next time because if the motorcyclist had suffered a serious injury requiring hospitalization or worse then the foreigner would be taken to jail until the judge decided who was guilty.

So even if he was in the right, he could be in jail.  Two possible Morals:  Be bloody careful out there,  OR,  Cops are not lawyers or judges so be careful what you believe.

I hear you Dave. On another day in downturn Daet where the tricycle drivers are king of the road and take no prisioners I was stopped at a red light, when a tricycle driver wanted to get in front of me, in doing so his right hand wheel became jammed under my front wheel well, so I got out and bounced it up and down to free it, no worries. Across the road there was a policeman watching all this, who came over and told me that I should be more careful in my driving. Once again I will not elaborate this any further so I am not in breach of the forum rules, just to say that now if I have to drive anywhere it is at a very slow pace while constantly looking in my mirrors to keep myself safe.

I wager that the majority of the members here have stories similar to mine, so once again people be careful out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

Where is the link to his press conference?

All she needed to do was film him driving irresponsibly and go to the police. The acted inappropriately as did he IMHO.