Choosing a place to live (expat)

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Capa said:

However, on the main roads I have witnessed 3 fatalities in the past 2 months on those horrible looking things! Something you really do not want to see! I also see them riding at night with no lights or reflectors. Suicidal !

It's not only gated subdivisions (although they're common there), it's also smaller cities where they're the main form of public transport (except for the even slower pedal cabs), I don't know about you but I'm not going to walk 8 kilometres from the airport to the house.  And yes I'd rather travel around in the Avanza but sometimes, depending upon where I am it's simply not an option. 

Besides how is it less safe than riding a motorbike?  And I've been doing that for almost 50 years both in Australia and in the Philippines.

The one pictured below belongs to the father of my Godson and I helped them to get the franchise a while back, and another family member has one also so maybe I'm a bit more familiar with the details of them than you are.

NB the oversize truck style rear vision mirrors and the 7 inch head light (and yes it works).

(I edited over my name on the top board which they put there because I helped them get the franchise)

Motocab 2.jpg

Motocab edit.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
extra information and typo correction
  • Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Have you checked out La Union? Caba, Bauang, San Fernando, San Juan, Bacnotan ? Close to Baguio, many Beach resorts, country/province living.

Two Expats and their families just moved into the area from Subic claiming rental prices there are skyrocketing.  

• Like 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

I haven’t heard about these yet, but that sounds like places I could like a lot. I will put them on my list of places to see. 

Thanks!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Capa said:

On one of those, in any collision you will surely be dead! Avoid!

Crossing the road on foot is about the same risk. :89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
Thelanjaron
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would go for Manila especially if you are planning to enjoy life and explore the country. Just because it has good infrastructure and you are safe there. There are a lot of property for sale in Philippines you can choose from and negotiate the price, more options are here for you. This is just my opinion.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
New members can not post links, Warning. Broke links. Please read the rules.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Thelanjaron said:

I would go for Manila especially if you are planning to enjoy life and explore the country. Just because it has good infrastructure and you are safe there....

Kinda going against popular opinion there...

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have lived in Manila in the past, and it is the pollution (and traffic!) that I would not want to have to live with, which I'm sure must affect the lungs of all of its inhabitants, whether they are luxuriating in their posh gated community, or poverty-stricken residents in Caloocan.

Having decided to ignore popular expat advice and live close to my wife's family, I find myself living in a very pleasant part of Pangasinan, about 5 miles from the beach, and just North of the good-sized city of Dagupan... which incidentally, does have its own Bureau of Immigration office.  A useful facility for an expat.

We (ok...the Mrs) bought a 500 Square metre lot, which faces on to a fairly quiet rural road,, on the edge of a village.

So far we've built a small, simple block and concrete house, with mains water supply and electricity, and we are able to access the internet perfectly adequately for our needs by having a wifi modem with an external antenna mounted atop a very tall bamboo pole.

None of this has cost a lot of money. 

All Filipino families are different, but ours are lovely people,  dotted around the locality, who are there if we need them, but have never 'intruded' upon us. 

I feel very safe in our house, next to friendly and helpful neighbours.  No rent to pay of course, so we don't need to rely on a big steady income. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Thelanjaron said:

I would go for Manila especially if you are planning to enjoy life and explore the country. Just because it has good infrastructure and you are safe there. There are a lot of property for sale in Philippines you can choose from and negotiate the price, more options are here for you. This is just my opinion.

Well, I’ve spending some time already in my condo in Paranaque, it’s old but inexpensive for what it is: quite roomy and it has a really good airflow thanks to its little balcony, and the trees in front keep it cool the whole day. But also, I wanted something close to the airport, because this is just temporary, there’s no way I’ll be living in a Megacity permanently, especially not Manila, it’s so time consuming to get anywhere. 

The next item on my agenda is to “check out” Dumaguete. From what I’ve heard, it is quite good for expats like me who like a quiet environment. 

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2018 at 2:09 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:
On 7/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, Capa said:

On one of those, in any collision you will surely be dead! Avoid!

Crossing the road on foot is about the same risk. :89:

I told you's you couldn't keep a good man down, he's back, although Capa is a not with the forum now his words livith on. :hystery:

• Like 1