KurtVD

Choosing a place to live (expat)

11 hours ago, graham59 said:

Here are a few pics of our simple lifestyle... though we don't really want for anything.

I am kept busy constantly adding to and improving upon our home.... and playing on my Xboxes. lol

Yes it makes you wonder, a westerner is not content if his house is not 200/300 square big back home, yet in the PI's if they have a house 40 square it is a mansion to them. This is what I like about the PI"s simple living and as I think back on my own house here, what a bloody waste of space and money. Graham your family and you look happy in what you have got, thanks for the photos. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, graham59 said:

Here are a few pics of our simple lifestyle

Very nice looking beach in the post. Whats it like on the waters edge, sand or rocks? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Very nice looking beach in the post. Whats it like on the waters edge, sand or rocks? 

It's basically sand from the waters edge right up to the treeline.... with a very gently sloping shelf running out towards the sea... so safe for little ones when the breakers aren't too big.

Further North, it is possible to do a bit of surfing.

• Like 5

Another pic I took a couple of years ago...same beach.

Beach in Dagupan.jpg

• Like 3

Also, I’m still not even definitely set on the country: Right now I’m back in Vietnam with a friend, and I’ve forgotten the many advantages here: very easy to get around, very inexpensive, no typhoons to worry about...Drawbacks: language is hard to learn, but necessary, few people speak English, and most of them only a few words. I (Swiss citizen) need a visa even for a month, about 100$, and outside of the cities, imported products are hard or impossible to find. I don’t know about healthcare in the Philippines, but in Vietnam the situation is not too bad, there’s a international hospital in Saigon, I know someone who’s been treated there twice for quite serious stuff and found it alright. 

Luckily I can keep on looking/traveling and don’t have to decide in a given time....that’s what’s good about renting, you can always leave, and with prices as low as here, I can easily afford to leave with a few months left on a lease, no biggie. 

• Like 2