Choosing a place to live (expat)

PaulB
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sounds great.  What is a "split level condo?"  I have had split level houses before but I'm not sure why a condo would be like that.

I think they call them Duplexes when it is a condo.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sounds great.  What is a "split level condo?"  I have had split level houses before but I'm not sure why a condo would be like that.

In the UK we call them a maisonette  "French" for apartment on 2 Floors

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What is a "split level condo?"

It could be the bedroom is a loft and living is on the lower area but Kurt will inform us of what he means Im sure.  Ultima Residences , Crown Regency Fuente Osmena have them in Cebu so probably everywhere but I think in Kurts case it is an apartment? 

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Inside the condo, it has a second floor where the master bedroom is, plus a smaller bedroom or walk-in closet, whatever you need it for. Why? It gives you two rooms on the footprint of just one, even though the upper floor is quite low. I’m about half an inch shorter than 6 ft. (179cm) and I can just stand; good thing I shaved off my Mohawk last week ;) (never had one)

• Thanks 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

In the UK we call them a maisonette  "French" for apartment on 2 Floors

Appartement on 2 floors sounds about right. You call these maisonnette in the U.K.? Funny, that literally means “little house”. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

Appartement on 2 floors sounds about right. You call these maisonnette in the U.K.? Funny, that literally means “little house”. 

Funny? that is what they are :Little Houses. 

http://www.yourdictionary.com/maisonette

Edited by Jack Peterson

KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PaulB said:

I think they call them Duplexes when it is a condo.

I think the confusion stems from using the term “condo” for almost anything here that’s not a house, and personally I’m not really sure about the difference between a condo and a flat or apartment either. Is the criterion to qualify for a condo to have its own entrance from the outside? If so, then I’m sitting in an apartment right now, and it has an upper floor which is a bit lower than the main floor. But I guess it can be called a duplex in both cases...

Edited by KurtVD

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

And what do you think about the rent (10k fully furnished)? I have seen cheaper apartments (lowest was 6100/month, in Pasig), but 8-10k seems to be about as low as it gets if you want a balcony (I absolutely need that). Of course there are even cheaper offers out there, but those that I have seen were either shared rooms or very small spaces with shared bathrooms and stuff like that - not for me. 

Is this assessment about correct? Or should I try to haggle it down a little? It is a private owner, and the buildings a little old... 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

And what do you think about the rent (10k fully furnished)? I have seen cheaper apartments (lowest was 6100/month, in Pasig), but 8-10k seems to be about as low as it gets if you want a balcony (I absolutely need that). Of course there are even cheaper offers out there, but those that I have seen were either shared rooms or very small spaces with shared bathrooms and stuff like that - not for me. 

Is this assessment about correct? Or should I try to haggle it down a little? It is a private owner, and the buildings a little old... 

If this fits your needs and if you do like it then go for it. Without pictures or knowing something of the area (noise, pollution, safety, accessibility, so much more) we can't help much.

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Old55 said:

If this fits your needs and if you do like it then go for it. Without pictures or knowing something of the area (noise, pollution, safety, accessibility, so much more) we can't help much.

I understand, I just wanted to know if my observation of the price situation is about correct, eg it doesn’t get much cheaper than 10k? I have spoken to a Filipino in the meantime, and he said that I could try to get it down to 8k/month, but 10 would still be ok for what it is.... My reasoning is, that even though it’s a small dent in my monthly budget, nobody likes to overpay. 

• Like 2