Choosing a place to live (expat)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Did you have a balcony at this price? And what area is this? Close to Muntinlupa and Paranaque?

Taguig is nearer to BGC. Just Google the Venice Mall. No balcony but a swimming pool on the top floor. As an idea to the size it's about 3 double beds width with 3ft walkway in front of the beds and that includes the CR also. Basically a rabbit hutch. Pointless even opening the curtains as you look at another skyscraper built about 15ft away from you.

A nice place to live but after a few months you get cabin fever looking at 4 walls all day with next to no day light. The Venice Mall has lots of restaurants though and a VIP Cinema with leather reclining seats. Not a great selection of shops though, mainly clothes shops.

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Pointless even opening the curtains as you look at another skyscraper built about 15ft away from you.

When we were young and in the life before We lived on the 9th Floor in something Similar, It had a bad effect on my Eldest daughter as the school were worried that everything she drew mas on a miniature Scale, It would I said, it is how she sees things from that height. For me, High Rise Condos (Apartments) are just not Children Friendly :mellow:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, scott h said:

If you are in a mall, get a flyer and are interested, most of the condos which are being shown are actually with in walking distance of the Mall in which they are being advertised. (

Probably completely correct but I'm sure that the OP stated rent and in my case I have not seen rent people in malls handing out anything regarding rent. :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

rent people in malls

Nope, but you can walk to the complex, dollars to donuts that there is a sales office there who knows what units are for rent and which are for sale. 

I am fairly confident of this, because last year my young nephew and I walked into a complex near my home and spun them a BS story about him going to college here and that my house was to small for him to stay with us. (I was just curious to see the inside of the place), they asked if we wanted to buy or rent and would show us examples of each that were available. 

The 2 sales agents (young ladies) where very helpful. Didn't hurt that my nephew was 23 at the time, 6 foot 2, blonde and blue eyed. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot for your input. Now I'm looking for a hotel to stay, in the area where I'll be searching. I've seen that there are several large residences/hotels in Paranaque that have "Azure" in their name, but it doesn't look like a hotel chain. Is Azure a place in Paranaque?

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

@KurtVD did you also checked cities outside of Metro Manila? A recommendation would be Davao City. Lots of activities and dining possibilities. There is even a Swiss Deli in Lanang. And if you want to go swimming just head to Samal island. Do you like to live in an enjoyable climate then try to find a rental in The Eden area in Davao City. 

One caveat in the Philippines is that many rentals have a minimum rental duration of one year.

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

@KurtVD did you also checked cities outside of Metro Manila? A recommendation would be Davao City. Lots of activities and dining possibilities. There is even a Swiss Deli in Lanang. And if you want to go swimming just head to Samal island. Do you like to live in an enjoyable climate then try to find a rental in The Eden area in Davao City. 

One caveat in the Philippines is that many rentals have a minimum rental duration of one year.

Thank you, that is actually my plan: I’m going to stay in Manila for the first 6 or 12 months, and explore the country from there, all while going back home regularly. A very soft transition, if you will. Concerning the climate, the heat doesn’t bother me - it’s not like I have to work.

If the rent is below 20k, I can live with a minimum duration of 12 months. Thanks for the information though, one more reason to really search for low rent flats. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kert, don’t be afraid to go without a place to stay long-term. Some places advertised online have inflated prices. 

The experienced Expats will say “ boots on ground “ And there are good reasons to visit a few locations before making any kind of decision.

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Now I'm looking for a hotel to stay,

There are lots and lots of hotels naturally around the airport. When your exploring the Paranaque/Muntilupa area there are several BandBs inside BF homes. Also you can google appartelles, this is what the motel 6 type hotels are called around here. 

• Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Kert, don’t be afraid to go without a place to stay long-term. Some places advertised online have inflated prices. 

The experienced Expats will say “ boots on ground “ And there are good reasons to visit a few locations before making any kind of decision.

Absolutely, that’s what I want to do. 

Re: Boots on the ground: What’s the best way to get around to do that? Hire a taxi for the day? 

• Like 1