Choosing a place to live (expat)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Absolutely, that’s what I want to do. 

Re: Boots on the ground: What’s the best way to get around to do that? Hire a taxi for the day? 

Talk to Filipino's and Expats you meet for ideas then take a cab. Or maybe you can find a cabdriver you like that is willing to drive you around at a set price. Something like that?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Hire a taxi for the day? 

when and if you tour BF homes, just take tricycles, they are all over the place and the best way to move around

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Re: Boots on the ground: What’s the best way to get around to do that?

In my opinion it is a literal phrase. "Boots on the ground", "Pound the Pavement", Walk, all mean the same thing.  I see 3 times as much by walking as I ever do by riding.  And I get exercise.

If I were in your shoes :cheersty: I would find an area that looked like somewhere I would want to live and I would walk around looking for signs, asking people, looking in open doors and generally being nosy.  If that does not work for you, often there is a filipino in the area who will do exactly that, for a fee, and report back to you so you can limit the number of places you want to look at. 

• Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In my opinion it is a literal phrase. "Boots on the ground", "Pound the Pavement", Walk, all mean the same thing.  I see 3 times as much by walking as I ever do by riding.  And I get exercise.

If I were in your shoes :cheersty: I would find an area that looked like somewhere I would want to live and I would walk around looking for signs, asking people, looking in open doors and generally being nosy.  If that does not work for you, often there is a filipino in the area who will do exactly that, for a fee, and report back to you so you can limit the number of places you want to look at. 

8 hours ago, scott h said:

when and if you tour BF homes, just take tricycles, they are all over the place and the best way to move around

9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Talk to Filipino's and Expats you meet for ideas then take a cab. Or maybe you can find a cabdriver you like that is willing to drive you around at a set price. Something like that?

Thanks for the suggestions. I like to walk, and that is probably the best way to do it, or on a tricycle, however, due to my disability, I don't have as many "productive" days as I would like to have. I'll be better off paying a local to limit the number of places I have to go to, hopefully that will be easy to find. Now I'm about to decide if it will be this June or July - how about airfares and hotel prices? Are they going up in July? Because in June, they are really low, especially the airfare. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Peak season starts soon goes through September.

Edited by Old55

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Also the rainy season has started, not a good time to visit the Philippines. Nov-May is the best time.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If I were in your shoes

If that was the case then either Kurt will have sore feet from no shoes or you will do the walking for him :smile:

• Haha 3

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2018 at 1:47 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

If that was the case then either Kurt will have sore feet from no shoes or you will do the walking for him :smile:

Luckily, sore feet won’t be an issue, since I own more than one pair of shoes (not as many as Imelda, though)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
KurtVD
Posted
Posted

Hi all, 

since I had gotten a lot of helpful responses, here’s an update: I’m now staying in a split-level condo in Muntinlupa that I could rent for 10k/month, fully furnished (fridge, cooking gear, even a washing machine). For now though , I haven’t decided and pay a bit more, on a weekly basis. 

I quite like it, I’ll probably stay here for the first 6-12 months (eg I’ll do my trips to other parts of the country from here). It’s situated in the closed Waterfun amusement park, but it’s not an unsafe area, I haven’t seen anything that would deter me from going out, even at night, and the taxis/Grabs have no problems coming here. It’s pretty authentically “Filipino”, meaning  there’s lots of noise at times (dogs, roosters, music),  but no traffic noise or pollution. 

Opinions? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

Opinions?

Sounds great.  What is a "split level condo?"  I have had split level houses before but I'm not sure why a condo would be like that.