Expats in Philippines choose never to return....

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Can someone explain what they mean by heat index ? Is that a reference to humidity

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

heat index ?

going from memory, to lazy to google it. It is the combination of actual heat, wind and humidity. I am more familiar with the cold index. it might be 32 out but when you add in the wind chill it "feels" like 20. 

• Like 4

marine6357
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Can someone explain what they mean by heat index ? Is that a reference to humidity

a quantity expressing the discomfort felt as a result of the combined effects of the temperature and humidity of the air.

Some places are now calling it Real-Feel.

The AccuWeather RealFeel® temperature does just that. The RealFeel® uses multiple factors including the temperature, humidity, cloud cover, sun intensity, and wind to explain how hot it feels outside. In comparison, the heat index only factors in the temperature and humidity.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, scott h said:

going from memory, to lazy to google it. It is the combination of actual heat, wind and humidity. I am more familiar with the cold index. it might be 32 out but when you add in the wind chill it "feels" like 20. 

I get the idea ,its wind chill factor in reverse

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

a quantity expressing the discomfort felt as a result of the combined effects of the temperature and humidity of the air.

Some places are now calling it Real-Feel.

The AccuWeather RealFeel® temperature does just that. The RealFeel® uses multiple factors including the temperature, humidity, cloud cover, sun intensity, and wind to explain how hot it feels outside. In comparison, the heat index only factors in the temperature and humidity.

Thanks for a clear explanation , I work with large air conditioning systems and stuff such as relative humidity is used to calculate working conditions

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, Queenie O. said:

After four years here now, even though I miss my family and friends in the States sometimes, this is my permanent home now here in Cebu. I'm not the same person I was when I left, and my roots are now here. I haven't been back for a visit either, as I fear that after the long trek I'd feel like a stranger there. I'm happy where I am here, warts and all. 

As far as being an American though, I'll always have my American sensibility and identity. I'll hold that in my heart for the rest of my life.

Your circumstances and feelings are almost exactly the same as my own.  I could not have expressed it better.  I will have been here 5 years in November.  I have not been back to the USA and have no plans to visit.  I do still love the USA but wonder if I would also feel like a stranger.  Last month my wife and I went to dinner at a restaurant in Panagsama that is frequented by tourists.  It felt a little odd to be around so many Caucasian people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Lately, here in Iloilo, it has been 95 degrees with a heat index of 115.

Yesterday in Moalboal the heat index was 124 AND the power was off all day as they are installing new main lines and poles.

• Sad 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Yesterday in Moalboal the heat index was 124 AND the power was off all day as they are installing new main lines and poles.

Wow Mike--and you lived to tell it?!  :shock_40_anim_gif: Lately the power has been cutting out here and there, not too long or too often, but with this daily heat sometimes I feel like I've hit the wall at times.  I'm more like one of those flowers in the refrigerated case at the florists. I need cold to be at my best! Hopefully we'll see a little change in June...:smile:

• Like 4

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

I’ve been checking out a few countries the last few years, and I have decided I will spend my semi-retirement on the Philippines. Before that, I had set my sights on Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, and I’m subscribed to two other forums. It’s refreshing to read these positive posts; on the Thailand forum, I was reading a lot of complaining; about virtually anything you can imagine. Maybe it really is more fun in the Philippines... ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2018 at 9:06 AM, lobojohn said:

i didnt leave anything behind that i needed except my chainsaw..:) this is my home. w/o doing all of the comparisons , its simply a better life and ive got a new chainsaw. 

Did you get the license to operate it?   :unsure: