Jump to content
expatuk2014

Proof of life form time again !

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It might be a waste but how can you expect anyone else to know that only you can access that account personally by going into the bank? 

After just talking to the wife because it has been quite a few years since I open that account that only I can draw from, she says the account was opened that way at the request of the U.S. SSA but, the U.S does not trust the system here therefore still requiring the annual mail in I am alive report.  Oh well. That's the way it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TunaT said:

After just talking to the wife because it has been quite a few years since I open that account that only I can draw from, she says the account was opened that way at the request of the U.S. SSA but, the U.S does not trust the system here therefore still requiring the annual mail in I am alive report.  Oh well. That's the way it is. 

Yep go with the flow :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In the United States, the mortuaries are required to inform the Social Security Administration the name and Social Security number of the person who died. Same with hospitals and morgues. Monthly payments are stopped. There is a one-time death benefit which I believe is $1,000.

If you reside in the Philippines or another country, and the benefits are forwarded to a foreign bank account, the requirement is you need to communicate on a regular basis or the assumption is you have already passed away.  Otherwise, the local dependents won't say anything and allow the benefits to keep coming after your death. Philippines does not have a central, computer based registry for live births and deaths.

When I retire to the Philippines (2 1/2 years to go yay!😁) I am planning on keeping my credit union account here and transferring money to my Philippine bank account when needed.  Will a proof of life form be required in my case?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Balisidar said:
15 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In the United States, the mortuaries are required to inform the Social Security Administration the name and Social Security number of the person who died. Same with hospitals and morgues. Monthly payments are stopped. There is a one-time death benefit which I believe is $1,000.

If you reside in the Philippines or another country, and the benefits are forwarded to a foreign bank account, the requirement is you need to communicate on a regular basis or the assumption is you have already passed away.  Otherwise, the local dependents won't say anything and allow the benefits to keep coming after your death. Philippines does not have a central, computer based registry for live births and deaths.

When I retire to the Philippines (2 1/2 years to go yay!😁) I am planning on keeping my credit union account here and transferring money to my Philippine bank account when needed.  Will a proof of life form be required in my case?

The Proof of Life form won't be required except maybe if you list a foreign address as your residence. Let's say a relative in the United States continues to use your benefits after your passing away. The recourse for the Social Security Administration is to file a criminal complaint against the relative and get the money back plus penalty and interest. If the fraud happens in the Philippines, what are the chances of the US government getting their money back?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TunaT said:

At my BPI bank my U.S. S.S. check goes to a direct deposit dollar account that only I can access by going to the bank in person. So to me it is a waste of time and money to mail that form to the U.S. every year seeing I am the only one that can draw on that account. 

This is a good precaution to keep your money safe. But what happens if there is an emergency like an accident and you need the money? Consider having a fiduciary like a law firm to access the money in special circumstances. If the amount deposited is sufficiently large, ask your bank about personal or private banking services. Someone will be assigned and that person becomes the contact to make withdrawals with your written or verbal instructions. The private banker representative is a fiduciary and you have recourse if he/she withdraws funds without your authorization.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, roddavis said:

Found the form online thru Soc Security. Can be filled out and sent online.

https://form-ssa-ocr-7162.pdffiller.com/

SSA form 7162

Just got my form today. It was mailed out Jun 01 to PI. According to the post stamps, it arrived PI Jun 04 then Toledo Cebu Jun 18. Snail mail does take its time. The last mail from SSA was form 1099 mailed out on Jan31. I didn't receive that one for over 5 months! Goes to show the local post office has no priority for foreign mail! You need to have in place a local contact/ reward system for important documents:SugarwareZ-037:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, roddavis said:

Just got my form today. It was mailed out Jun 01 to PI. According to the post stamps, it arrived PI Jun 04 then Toledo Cebu Jun 18. Snail mail does take its time. The last mail from SSA was form 1099 mailed out on Jan31. I didn't receive that one for over 5 months! Goes to show the local post office has no priority for foreign mail! You need to have in place a local contact/ reward system for important documents:SugarwareZ-037:

I used an internet mail receiving/forwarding service. I could have mail forwarded or have them open and scan it so I could view online. In 2 years I only had to have mail forwarded once or twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again my UK pension has been stopped ! Apparently i never sent my Proof of life forms back !Would be nice to have received them first so i could send them back ! phoned the Int pension centre and they told me that they had sent out 3 sets of forms to me !  In Jan,March and July !

Funny thing is in March they stopped my pension ! I sent the witnessed forms back i had stored on my pc i tracked the forms and they were received and signed for ! When i phoned this afternoon the nice lady asked me some security questions and eventually found i had sent the forms back and they were witnessed by my Doctor !  So all sorted and pension will begin again !.

JUST A WARNING ANYONE WHO DECIDES TO SEND FORMS TO THE PENSION SERVICE AS I WAS GOING TO IN JAN 2019 WITHOUT RECEIVING ANY FORMS DO NOT DO SO ! AS THEY WILL BE IGNORED THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN REPLIES TO FORMS WHICH THEY SEND OUT RANDOMLY !

However i was advised to phone them evey 4-5 months just to check !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little of topic, sorry, but does Australian pensioners have to do this proof of being alive forms, when residing overseas. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Clermont said:

A little of topic, sorry, but does Australian pensioners have to do this proof of being alive forms, when residing overseas. :thumbsup:

 

I honestly don't know but I'm curious about that also...

  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×