New Euro 2 Vehicle

Recommended Posts

Posted

Tomorrow I will be shopping for a new Euro2 vehicle. They can still be registered new if their Certificate of Stock Report was in 2017. I'm all for clean air, who isn't? But most of the vehicles [diesel] that suit my purposes aren't doing well with catalytic converters, regen systems, their computer programming, fuel injectors and the service departments of the dealerships that sell said vehicles are not helpful nor it appears understanding, which is understandable because they know they sold you a lemon and there is nothing they can do. The manufacturer has to make it good and the manufacturer will do anything possible to not do so.

Tomorrow I am shopping for one of the last Euro2 L300's. Mitsubishi is skipping a model year because they didn't have a suitable engine that could be reliably made Euro4 compliant. I have to respect that. I do not appreciate the other brands that scabbed equipment on an older generation of engines to have something to sell whether it worked well/reliably or not. I'm not certain that a catalytic converter "designed" to clog up until the computer decided to pump a huge amount of extra fuel through the engine to attempt to burn the carbon/soot to nothing, is a good idea and not an engineering dead end.

I was hoping to get something with a bit of comfort and a bit of zip to it, was willing to pay twice as much or more for a vehicle that would suit my purposes but in the end, capable, reliable and [locally] repairable trumps other considerations. :smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
32 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

meet Philippine standards. 

:shades: My 1959 Standard Pennant would have met them  :mocking:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
54 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Do cars that meet US & European emission standards also meet Philippine standards. 

https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/02/differences-in-us-and-eu-emissions-standard-key-cause-of-dieselgate/

 

 

 

From 2015 and before? Probably not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

I had to get my 2008 Toyota Fortuner Emissions Tested to get it registered. I passed without any problem and the vehicle is 10 years old. I would think anything built in the last 5 years would be extremely clean by Philippine standards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I had to get my 2008 Toyota Fortuner Emissions Tested to get it registered. I passed without any problem and the vehicle is 10 years old. I would think anything built in the last 5 years would be extremely clean by Philippine standards. 

We might be talking at cross purposes here. I thought you meant vehicles registered for the first time in the Philippines [save for the dwindling stock of vehicles with certificate of stock prior to 2018], which will now have to meet Euro4 standards.

Your 2008 Fortuner only needed to meet 2008 Philippine standards. Thats if they even bothered to have the engine running while they stuck the sniffer in the tailpipe while the required picture was being taken to prove that your vehicle was tested at all.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

Meeting US or European emission standards seems a little harsh for the Philippines. I have had vehicles fail the Houston Emissions test that are far cleaner than half the vehicles on the road here. The cost to get the vehicle into compliance would also be more than a years wages to most Filipinos. 

That said I really like the new Toyota Diesel that is supposedly Euro 6 compliant.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/technology-news/how-special-are-toyota-new-diesel-engines

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Meeting US or European emission standards seems a little harsh for the Philippines. I have had vehicles fail the Houston Emissions test that are far cleaner than half the vehicles on the road here. The cost to get the vehicle into compliance would also be more than a years wages to most Filipinos. 

That said I really like the new Toyota Diesel that is supposedly Euro 6 compliant.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/technology-news/how-special-are-toyota-new-diesel-engines

 

I think you may find that the article said those attributes will help the Toyota diesel to become Euro6 compliant, not that it already was. Those are the engines we have now as the article was from 2015. If you do a little searching, those engines aren't faring well in Australia. Toyota is even threatening to sue a man who is making their shortcomings public. There are youtube videos on car review channels talking about it. Toyota created a workaround for a fleet of off road mining vehicles that didn't need to meet emissions testing. Toyota was my first choice before I learned of the problems.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

Tomorrow I will be shopping for a new Euro2 vehicle. They can still be registered new if their Certificate of Stock Report was in 2017. I'm all for clean air, who isn't? But most of the vehicles [diesel] that suit my purposes aren't doing well with catalytic converters, regen systems, their computer programming, fuel injectors and the service departments of the dealerships that sell said vehicles are not helpful nor it appears understanding, which is understandable because they know they sold you a lemon and there is nothing they can do. The manufacturer has to make it good and the manufacturer will do anything possible to not do so.

Tomorrow I am shopping for one of the last Euro2 L300's. Mitsubishi is skipping a model year because they didn't have a suitable engine that could be reliably made Euro4 compliant. I have to respect that. I do not appreciate the other brands that scabbed equipment on an older generation of engines to have something to sell whether it worked well/reliably or not. I'm not certain that a catalytic converter "designed" to clog up until the computer decided to pump a huge amount of extra fuel through the engine to attempt to burn the carbon/soot to nothing, is a good idea and not an engineering dead end.

I was hoping to get something with a bit of comfort and a bit of zip to it, was willing to pay twice as much or more for a vehicle that would suit my purposes but in the end, capable, reliable and [locally] repairable trumps other considerations. :smile:

If you want something with comfort and zip try this

IMG_20180527_131058461_HDR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
2 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

If you want something with comfort and zip try this

IMG_20180527_131058461_HDR.jpg

I wouldn't mind having a Thundertrike with a 350 Chevy engine and automatic transmission, unfortunately the comfort factor goes down when it's pissing out.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...