Car Emergency Kit

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We did a lot of car traveling around the Philippines. Always kept in the trunk was an emergency kit. Items included water, dry food like trail mix, flashlight, extra batteries, change of clothes, space blankets (aluminum wraps), and comfortable shoes in case you have to walk a great distance. I also had a machete (bolo) that could be used as a weapon. 

Do other forum members have similar emergency kits in their car?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Space blankets in the Philippines?

Not judging but JJ, you sir are an optimist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not there yet but i always carry a first aid kit in my car here plus walking boots, wet gear and walking sticks, and i  am sure we will over there too.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Funny... but the truth of the matter is they're good for treating shock in injury victims.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

The product is mylar/plastic sheets originally developed to protect space craft from excessive heat. They are still known as "Space" or "Emergency" blankets. Price range is $1.00 to $20.00 and they weigh just a few ounces.  I use to purchase them in Metro Manila from a store selling camping equipment and supplies.  First Responders use them for accident victims as a wrap.

Main use in the Philippines is as ground cover. Try finding a patch of grass not covered in dung. You can also create a temporary shelter from the sun.

An emergency could be as simple as traffic gridlock. One time, an accident on EDSA caused a jam lasting hours. Cars, jeepneys, buses and trucks who failed to turn off their engines started running out of gas. My sister and a friend were forced to walk from Cubao to Makati leaving her driver behind. They were grateful about having water and trail mix during their trek.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, scott h said:

To be perfectly serious, my emergency kit is a pocket full of pesos. When driving we always have some water, and the wife always has some munchies, but I have yet, nor do I foresee driving so far out into the jungle that civilization is not with in easy reach. 

Wives and family members buying munchies is another story. In the Philippines, they will buy a 3 days supplies and everything will be consumed before the end of the day.  Somehow constantly eating and a long trip are closely linked. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, JJReyes said:

Somehow constantly eating and a long trip are closely linked. 

oh don't I know that lolol. I have had to have my tounge surgically reattached from biting it through. I am constantly refraining from screaming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU JUST ATE!!!!!! :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::bonk::shock_40_anim_gif::hystery:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi JJ,

I have some family friends (My husband's two cousins and an aunt) and the three of them carry huge purses with them as they sometimes commute from the province or on their daily treks through in the city.  They carry everything from water to snacks, cough drops tp and tissues a flashlight small umbrella a change of underwear--so many items including ultimately a small bottle of herbal blessed massage oil. Not sure if they were ever girl scouts, but maybe in a past life. :smile: I'm pretty impressed with their state of preparedness.

I think that bottled water a simple first aid kit which should include maybe aspirin or diarrhea some tissues etc. I usually carry an extra pair of sandals for if God forbid one should have a malfunction, Probably a change of clothes would be a good thing to have. My husband carries a car tool kit I know. I have some simple items in my purse, but extra money will pretty much get  you out of many or any emergency here I think, while out and about.:smile:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

Model 1911 chambered in 9 mil, that and a sleeping bag small saw,matches flashlight. This is in Canada, in PH prob. some cash

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 1