Posted
Posted

Great post Queenie, thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Queenie the little brown bird  in your pic we often see here early am, do you have a name for it, could not find on google. Is it in the  sparrow family?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, RBM said:

Queenie the little brown bird  in your pic we often see here early am, do you have a name for it, could not find on google

Not being bird person, I am a google person.  Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_munia

Here is the Wiki pic of a Chestnut Munia in Cebu

chestnut munia.jpg

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not being bird person, I am a google person.  Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_munia

Here is the Wiki pic of a Chestnut Munia in Cebu

chestnut munia.jpg

I have a Little family nesting again this year cute and not destructive :thumbsup:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We have Pied Fantails, which never seem to hold still and, here, constantly bow, counterbalanced on twigs by that beautiful tail.

We also have the Chesnut Munias and hordes of Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

My favorite is the tiny Olive Backed Sunbird.

pied_fantail_imm.jpg

obsunbird.jpg

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have a Little family nesting again this year cute and not destructive :thumbsup:

That's a good one Jack. I guess there are many varieties of Maya birds--not sure if  the name I found is the correct one. This one I read that tjhis chestnut one used to be the national bird of the Philippines. I found some bird videos on Youtube that were cool.  These birds must come back and nest year after year in some areas like yours. This is a first nest sighting for me here.:smile:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

We have Pied Fantails, which never seem to hold still and, here, constantly bow, counterbalanced on twigs by that beautiful tail.

We also have the Chesnut Munias and hordes of Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

My favorite is the tiny Olive Backed Sunbird.

pied_fantail_imm.jpg

obsunbird.jpg

Hi JD,

Yes--that's the Philippine version of the hummingbird the Olive Backed Sunbird--Tamsi in Bisaya!  I love that one-- so quick and jaunty. I have some red tubular fire cracker plants that the Tamsi love to drink from. Do you have any of those plants?The black and white one here I think is called Siloy--constantly moving and flashing  it's tail.  I read that it's a distant relative of the famous and rare Black Shama  bird,which is endemic to Consolacion town here in Cebu. I love those sweet tree sparrows called Gorion here too. They remind me the most of sparrows back in the States.:smile: I wonder if any local birds would live in a tree house in the yard?  I've never seen one here.. Thanks for the pics!

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Queenie the little brown bird  in your pic we often see here early am, do you have a name for it, could not find on google. Is it in the  sparrow family?

Hi RBM,

I think  that Dave andJack called it correctly the Chestnut Munia, or a variety of Maya bird.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

That's a good one Jack. I guess there are many varieties of Maya birds--not sure if  the name I found is the correct one.

Commonly called the Rice bird because of its white beak, they do normally live in paddy field but are a somewhat nervous bird and I guess that is why I get them year after year as we are in a Quiet Area; Rice Bird.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1