Birds in my garden

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not being bird person, I am a google person.  Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_munia

Here is the Wiki pic of a Chestnut Munia in Cebu

chestnut munia.jpg

Yes Dave--you and Jack spotted the Chestnut Munia! Good Googling Dave! :smile: Any birds at your yard?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Any birds at your yard?

I see very few birds around here as I live in a subdivision that is like a concrete jungle.  My mother is the bird person in my family.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see very few birds around here as I live in a subdivision that is like a concrete jungle.

:smile: Of course young man you mean the feathered type :whistling: Kidding mate KIDDING embarrased  man.jpg :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

That's a good one Jack. I guess there are many varieties of Maya birds--not sure if  the name I found is the correct one. This one I read that tjhis chestnut one used to be the national bird of the Philippines. I found some bird videos on Youtube that were cool.  These birds must come back and nest year after year in some areas like yours. This is a first nest sighting for me here.:smile:

I think I remember reading that Filipinos call both the Eurasian Tree Sparrow and the Chestnut Munia "maya". The tree sparrow can be quite destructive - they tear apart some of my wife's plants for nesting material - but the Munia is much less so. 

Edited by JDDavao
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

have some red tubular fire cracker plants that the Tamsi love to drink from. Do you have any of those plants?

Yes! Those are exactly the plants I see the sun birds on. 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We get Mayas here in our garden and they successfully bred for the last 2 years but the sparrows don`t like them.Some of you call the chestnut munias but when I kept some in the uk we called them black headed nuns.We also get some shrike looking birds,swallows and some kind of weaver bird,which I cannot identify.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Since you folks have stirred up my interest in these common birds, I went back to that Wiki site that I linked to before and I found this interesting:

National bird of the Philippines until 1995

The black-headed munia was the national bird of the Philippines until 1995, when that honorific was transferred to the Philippine eagle. There, due to urbanization and the resulting lack of awareness of local species, it is nowadays often confused for the Eurasian tree sparrow because that species, one of several also categorized as "maya" in the Philippines, is much more common in the urban areas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

We have a variety of birds that frequent our yard.  We have a variety of trees but the Maya really like a small lime tree for building their nests.  Last season I counted seven nests.  These pictures were all taken in/from our yard that looks over the water.

Bird with blue wing.jpgBrown Bird w Black Cape.jpgIMG_1994.JPGIMG_2352.JPGTwo Doves.jpgYellow Bird.jpg

Hi Mike, Nice pics! You being on the other end of Cebu ocean, have similar birds, flora and fauna.:smile:

There's the blue White Collared Kingfisher, or Tikarol in Bisaya.  The Chestnut Munia/Maya that others have observed too. The small Egret or Tabon in Bisaya. The little yellow Sunbird or Tamsi that has seen by others too, and a pair of wild doves.  I think that the birds there with the red eyes are called Gansiang in Bisaya, a variety of Flowerpecker. bird. I remembered two other varieties of sea birds that we find here--a small brownish plover bird, and a larger light brown plover. Do you see those too? 

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Queenie O.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Since you folks have stirred up my interest in these common birds, I went back to that Wiki site that I linked to before and I found this interesting:

The black-headed munia was the national bird of the Philippines until 1995

I wonder Dave--is the Black Headed Munia the same bird as the Chestnut Munia?