Birds in my garden

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

The book that I found in a bookstore at J Centre Mall in Mandaue-- Birds of Cebu and Bohol, I really purchased because other Philippine bird books had very little information about birds in our area.  A book that I already owned, called A Photographic Guide to Birds of the Philippines, had little or no info about Cebu birds.

It goes to show that there are so many different varieties of Philippine birds spread out or that are local to certain islands/regions only.  The ones that we've discussed here might not be common to your area/island, so keep a look out for unique and beautiful birds from the places you live or are familiar with. There are so many!:smile:

• Thanks 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I wonder Dave--is the Black Headed Munia the same bird as the Chestnut Munia?

I'm getting all my info from that one Wiki site that I linked to.  I hope they are giving me correct info when they say:

The chestnut munia (Lonchura atricapilla), formerly considered as a subspecies of the tricolored munia, is also known as black-headed munia

• Thanks 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Love the pictures of all the birds in this post.  I'm pretty much all practical when it comes to gardening...if I can't eat it or use it in some way then I don't grow it.  My wife is the one that enjoys ornamental gardening and she's definitely interested in growing plants which attract a variety of birds.  She really enjoyed this post also.😀

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yes agree we had about a dozen of the black headed munia just now  on our grass, tried get a picture but they very shy. Guess that is what keeps them alive. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We also have a few of these birds.

20180602_124745.jpg

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I use to love the birds in our garden back here in England but with so many cats around there is not as many now , but with the local park just 5 minutes walk away where there is also a lake that could be my garden then.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mike J said:

We also have a few of these birds.

20180602_124745.jpg

Might that be the Pied Fantail or Siloy that JD in Davao showed Mike? Not sure if there's white on your bird's tail though.. Nice pic.:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

I use to love the birds in our garden back here in England but with so many cats around there is not as many now , but with the local park just 5 minutes walk away where there is also a lake that could be my garden then.

We have cats wandering in and around here too Steve, but it seems that birds here seem extra shy and guarded in their behavior. Self protection I'd say for these wilder animals..

That nearby local park sounds nice..

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Might that be the Pied Fantail or Siloy that JD in Davao showed Mike? Not sure if there's white on your bird's tail though.. Nice pic.:smile:

This is different than JD's bird.  The picture is not great as I took it with my phone.  The white is on the wings only, none on the tail or head.  We also have quite a few birds that swoop and dart around catching insects.  The body size and flight patterns is just like a swallow.  I have never seen one land so cannot give a good description.  There is also a bird here that is about the size of a crow.  Black and brown in color.  That bird will land in the lime tree and steal the baby Maya's.  Maybe not the right thing to do, but I throw rocks when I see this guy show up to raid the nursery.  I am going to look for a copy of your book the next time we go to J Mall.  

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

This is different than JD's bird.  The picture is not great as I took it with my phone.  The white is on the wings only, none on the tail or head.  We also have quite a few birds that swoop and dart around catching insects.  The body size and flight patterns is just like a swallow.  I have never seen one land so cannot give a good description.  There is also a bird here that is about the size of a crow.  Black and brown in color.  That bird will land in the lime tree and steal the baby Maya's.  Maybe not the right thing to do, but I throw rocks when I see this guy show up to raid the nursery.  I am going to look for a copy of your book the next time we go to J Mall.  

Still not sure about the bird you show in the picture..Oh I think I know what the darting bird is  Mike---it's the Philippine Swiftlet or Sayow in Bisaya. Until I found the name in that book, I was mistakenly calling them Swallows too.:smile: Here's a pic. We have some of those that fly in and out to the edge of the sea and back in the yard. Here's also a pic of a Philippine crow or Usalangane.de.mearns.frpe.1p.jpgwak. Maybe this is what you're seeing. I know some folks keep them as pets as well as black myna birds here.download (7).jpgBoth super clever.

Edited by Queenie O.