Oh to be young again lol

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If myself and Emma are out together the phones are banned other then for a emergency and to take pictures with, talking face to face and listening is still important to me, then again we only have been married nearly 8 years " still in love stage "

Ok i have tried to text her and even call her from time to time and she never responds but never ever when we are in the same room.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, stevewool said:

are banned

except when taking pictures of the food of course:bonk: 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

You know..Stevewool said On another post that I must have seen a lot of changes in the Philippines in the thirty three years I've had in planning my retirement.  I have from politics, to changes in law, to development etc.

This phase however is one that disturbed me the most.  When I visited the Philippines in 2001 I saw my nieces texting on smart phones.  I think I had a flip phone at the time and didn't even know what texting was.

I recall thinking at the time..these people can hardly afford food.  How in the hell can they afford these phones and the monthly phone charges?

I think that this, in addition to other society changes around the world are a bad thing.  I always make it a rule when our to dinner...phones down.

Let the conversations continue😁

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Well I just tried speaking that line to the missus, in admittedly my very bad cebuano, and she took it very badly! Apparantly it came across as her shorts make her ass look big! Are you sure it says what you think? Or perhaps my version of it was very wide of the mark.:bonk:

Triple LIKE Huggybear!   You owe me a freakin' keyboard.....gotta love them Brits!

• Like 2
  • Love it 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We don't always eat dinner as a family at the same time because of my work schedule but when we do no devices allowed. 

My wife and I go on dates often. The phones only come if one of the boys call us.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gary D said:

You mean I'm meant to talk to the wife.:89:

The couple who had been married for 55 years were sitting on the porch in their rocking chairs.  The wife said "Honey, why don't you tell me you love me anymore?"  The man thought a minute and replied; "I told you I loved you when we got married, if anything changes I will let you know." :hystery:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am often saddened when I see a young (40 ish) foreigner sit down to breakfast with a beautiful filipina friend and out comes his laptop, on the table between them so he is looking at the screen and does not pay attention to her.  So in defense she pulls out her phone and does her thing.

I wonder if the young foreigners realize this is why they could not keep a girl "back home" and the same will happen here.  Or they could be married for years and this is the status quo.  Or he could be hoping she would leave and he is searching the dating sites for his next "date".  Lots of possible scenarios but "rude" is always included in them.

Hi Dave, Also sad though is when you see a young Filipina partner or friend, and right away comes out comes her cellphone for the duration. Even staring at the cellphone while shopping with a partner in the supermarket..

Texting back and forth as Scott said is very common in the US and elsewhere too.

Another pathetic thing everywhere now is when someone takes a selfie of a social gathering at a restaurant and everyone is super animated and faking out this fabulous get-together. Next minute everyone is quiet and back at their own little screen.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Balisidar said:

I recall thinking at the time..these people can hardly afford food.  How in the hell can they afford these phones and the monthly phone charges?

About 10 years ago, the Philippine cost to send a text message was One Peso. I didn't know how to text so whenever someone sent a message, I would telephone. The recipient would be furious because the phone call charge was Seven Pesos per minute. My grand nephews and grand nieces would offer to teach me texting, but I refused. 

They were actually very good. At the dinner table, I would observe one hand for eating with either a spoon or fork. The other hand, under the table, held a cellular phone. They were sending messages to friends without a need to look at the keys!

Like it or not, it's a different generation that is growing up. The rules and etiquette are different. My wife and I used to spend evenings at a university library doing research. Library? They are obsolete.  Remember that wonderful invention called a fax machine? Also obsolete.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1