Making the move to the Philippines

RBM
Posted
Posted

:shock_40_anim_gif:Steve from my perspective an observation one of the singular greatest problems here for expats is patience. No amount of researching can properly prepare one for life here, , the patience required here for the smallish matters can, is, very frustrating.

Your correct initially not to have your investments here. As snowy has explained, investments can quickly turn sour. I have seen quite a number of expats change after a year or so, many turn inwards and isolate themselves. Some hide behind massive concrete walls believing a robber is waiting.

We should ask ourselves, what are our reasons for living here?  Most Filipinas I know married to an expat prefer to live and work abroad.

My reasons prImarly would be climate, lower cost of living plus many obvious additional benefits. Still I leave the country mostly twice a year, would find it difficult if I was unable. It's not with out its challenges.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some of us have different levels of tolerance towards nuisance beggars depending on our mood and situation.  I will usually try to ignore them but when I am feeling irritated I sometimes shoo them away.  I agree it can be unsettling when they are not bothering me but someone else at the table is feeling bothered and shoos them away, but the bottom line is this:

You noticed the presence of these beggars.  Did you feel more at ease when they stopped watching your table and left?  If so then don't feel embarrassed by your companion's actions.  Just realize that we humans are all different and our approach to life is different.

Some expats living in Dumaguete seem to get their daily stress under control by complaining to other expats about how bad things are.  A little bit of this is normal but when it goes on long enough they find that the only social group who will accept them are other complainers.  These people tend to give each other bad advice and that is fuel for more things to complain about and the circle goes on.

It's just the crazy driving here in Dumaguete and the jaywalkers with their cell phones and the ignorant trike drivers. But everything else  I expected, first came to Philippines 2002,  has it changed a lot in Dumaguete, sadly for the worse. Bought a lot in 2003 built a big house nice and quiet until two years ago when some locals decided to breed fighting roosters, now I get woke up three am every morning. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I doubt we as ex-pats face any more problems than we would if we had chosen any other less developed place to live. I've noticed one common denominator when people say why they chose here - low cost of living (I'm absolutely one). That comes at a price. Another consideration is time - many of us have too much if it (I know many keep saying how busy they are, but busy doing what they want to do rather than have to do) which can be a problem wherever you live. Life here is what it is.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

busy doing what they want to do rather than have to do) which can be a problem wherever you live. Life here is what it is.

Oh How I can relate that Young man :thumbsup: My Wife having sent the 2 helpers home this morning for being found out has woken me up to AH! the Dinner, The dogs and other things but as you say "It is what it is" :whistling:

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, jimeve said:

It's just the crazy driving here in Dumaguete and the jaywalkers with their cell phones and the ignorant trike drivers. But everything else  I expected, first came to Philippines 2002,  has it changed a lot in Dumaguete, sadly for the worse. Bought a lot in 2003 built a big house nice and quiet until two years ago when some locals decided to breed fighting roosters, now I get woke up three am every morning. 

Yes your one of the many is this respect, as another poster said it is what it is.

Once we invest in our house which for most is the majority of our savings we are committed as not easy to sell. The only consolation is take a visit to Ace hardware and in the tool department they sell excellent rubber ear plugs...I should know caus I use them most nights due to dogs.......Like you when we built was quiet no more........

• Like 5

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I am now setting up house again for the 4th time. I am still happy.

One thing I know for sure. never buy. Just rent. If you are unhappy you can move on. 

I think the secret to living in the Philippines is to live in the Philippines because you want to live in the Philippines. 

If you want to live in a place just like home, you should stay there. And no amount of whinging and moaning will change things to how you want them. instead it will just make things worse for you by alienating every one.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I am now setting up house again for the 4th time. I am still happy.

What area are you at this time Jim? 

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What area are you at this time Jim? 

Griffith for 6 months. Then Palompon.

• Like 2