Filipinos with more than one wife

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

It used to be a small number of Filipino men to have more than one wife. When I say second wife I mean openly (more or less) living with and supporting two families. Not talking about some back door hidden relationships.  Is this is still a tradition today? Not so sure as Filipinas have gained some legal rights to property.

We know of  two Filipino married couples where the husband has a second wife and family known to the first. 

Offshoot from another topic.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It is only legal if you are Muslim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_polygamy#Asia_2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The marriage, whether civil or religious, with the first wife is what the law recognizes. Any subsequent arrangements, whether done openly and with the knowledge of the first wife, is not recognized. Any children with the 2nd or 3rd or 4th are considered bastards (term used, not mine) have certain rights as to inheritance. They receive one half of what the legitimate children get.

The exemption in the Philippines are Muslims. I believe the children of the four wives receive an equal share.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The only ones I have seen leave the first family and have a second. They only support the new family.  They are only "paper married" to the first because there is no divorce here.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The marriage, whether civil or religious, with the first wife is what the law recognizes. Any subsequent arrangements, whether done openly and with the knowledge of the first wife, is not recognized. Any children with the 2nd or 3rd or 4th are considered bastards (term used, not mine) have certain rights as to inheritance. They receive one half of what the legitimate children get.

The exemption in the Philippines are Muslims. I believe the children of the four wives receive an equal share.

You're right JJ--There have been popular Tagalog movies about Filipino Chinese relationships you must be familiar with Mano Po movie series and Ako Pa rin ang Legal Wife.

If one follows popular culture and lives of many Filipino movie stars, these legal disputes over inheritance with an original wife of a movie star and the woman he later spent the most time/lived with. Some are played out publicly in court and the media.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

It used to be a small number of Filipino men to have more than one wife. When I say second wife I mean openly (more or less) living with and supporting two families. Not talking about some back door hidden relationships.  Is this is still a tradition today? Not so sure as Filipinas have gained some legal rights to property.

We know of  two Filipino married couples where the husband has a second wife and family known to the first. 

Offshoot from another topic.

Old55,   I'm not familiar with any. There are plenty of couples that have gone their separate ways a a couple, and the husband no longer supports the first wife or children. One widow relative lost her husband, but she has a new live in partner that left his wife for.  He supports both his own children and hers though, which I think is pretty noble on his part.

I think sometimes it can be a "class distinction" among the wealthy.  In the States and Philippines too, I''m sure you've heard of  women and men who "look the other way" even though their partner has another extra relationship, as long as their reputation and financial needs are intact and met.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Morning All, Came across this and thought ? How Apt for this Topic.:whistling:

Wife and open relationship.png

Jack:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

Is this is still a tradition today?

Not sure but I have known filipinas with more than one husband.  Seriously, she was married to a foreigner friend of mine.  She left him for another foreigner, neglected to tell him she was already married and divorce is unobtainable in Philippines.  She also married the second foreigner and subsequently emigrated to Australia where she was found out as a bigamist.  Not sure what happened after that.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

subsequently emigrated to Australia where she was found out as a bigamist. 

:unsure:

50 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They are only "paper married" to the first because there is no divorce here.

Hmmmm is this not what it all is "Paper marriages" As per our Daves' post, the paper trail can catch you out at some point, Why try and beat a system that seems to be getting tougher ( extra cenomars & Licences comes to mind) do as the french Do just take a mistress. Seems less of a hassle when things get messy & it seems they can and Do at times. :wink:

Clermont
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

She also married the second foreigner and subsequently emigrated to Australia where she was found out as a bigamist.  Not sure what happened after that

Yeah that rings a bell, one of the wife's friends got married over here and she was married over there. Bigamist is what the immigration people called it and she was sent back home ( their expense, ) and 5 years before she can apply for any type of visa and the bloke is blacklisted from entering the PI's. As I've said before, the PI's are in the 21st century with their technology, falsifying paperwork is a thing of the past. :2245_safe:

• Like 2