Staying Healthy Eating out in the Philippines

Rich wood
Posted
Posted

Hi: we have been living here for over 15 years and I have been very ill many times due to local food.  There are 2 problems one is kitchen cleanliness, and the water they use to cook with and serve for drinking. Normally the best food comes from mom & pop kitchens back home where they are inspected, this isn't the case here so beware and don't play Russian rulotte with your body. Also the sickest I ever got was from eating watermelon and pineapple as they are ground growing fruit and obsorb ground water which is very contaminated. Healthy Eating Rich 

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Welcome Rich, I don't trust eating out much over there, unless it is straight out of the frier,  Jollibee or charcoaled manginsel, the rest the wife sources and cooks fresh. Been crock once and that was from not heeding the warning of the wife.  :th_thbarbaque:

How are you enjoying it over there? :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Rich wood said:

eating watermelon

Agree with this one, every time I eat lots of watermelon I get the poops for a week, wife says I am nuts,,,so obviously I am wrong :bonk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I eat at carenderias and street food stalls a lot. My favorite part of traveling is eating local foods. What has worked well for me is eat at the places the locals eat. Look for a  crowded place. See where the cabbies and jeepney drivers eat.  If the locals won't eat there... it may be for good reason.  :tiphat:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Welcome Rich, I don't trust eating out much over there, unless it is straight out of the frier,  Jollibee or charcoaled manginsel, the rest the wife sources and cooks fresh. Been crock once and that was from not heeding the warning of the wife.  :th_thbarbaque:

How are you enjoying it over there? :thumbsup:

I first came to the Philippines in 1968 while in US Navy loved it then and still love it .if you eat a small amount of watermelon you are ok same with pineapple 

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Eating out here is like Russian Roulette ! We often used to eat at a local  foodie place as the Banana splits were to die for, i used to eat Tempura and fried rice which i loved always arrived freshly cooked nice clean batter etc

We would go here often but then i had stomach pains and never ending visits to the small room.

The wife vowed never agan !

We often eat out usually places out of the area we were told were good to eat at never had anyProblems in these places , i like fried chicken and there is a place in our town who know us very well and they will cook my chicken for me as we wait ! Its one of the cheapest places in the area  and its very popular with the local Robinsons staff and nearby schools.

Then theres Jollibee Tuna pie fries and coffee Yummy !

• Like 1

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Eating out here is like Russian Roulette ! We often used to eat at a local  foodie place as the Banana splits were to die for, i used to eat Tempura and fried rice which i loved always arrived freshly cooked nice clean batter etc

We would go here often but then i had stomach pains and never ending visits to the small room.

The wife vowed never agan !

We often eat out usually places out of the area we were told were good to eat at never had anyProblems in these places , i like fried chicken and there is a place in our town who know us very well and they will cook my chicken for me as we wait ! Its one of the cheapest places in the area  and its very popular with the local Robinsons staff and nearby schools.

Then theres Jollibee Tuna pie fries and coffee Yummy !

The one place I steer clear of is Fiesta anywhere you just know your in for many trips to the cr .we have a City Mall close and I eat offen at Chow King and so far survived 😜 Thanks for your reply Rich

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich wood said:

Chow King and so far survived

It's the first place I head for on arrival in Philippines.I tend not to buy cooked food from street vendors.

I prefer the home cooked food when staying with relatives and feel it's safer.

Rich wood
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

It's the first place I head for on arrival in Philippines.I tend not to buy cooked food from street vendors.

I prefer the home cooked food when staying with relatives and feel it's safer.

Yep you bet ,we built on to our house a fully equipped kitchen and opened a small Pizza shop plus I cook my and my wife's food from old family cook books. Today beef stew , yesterday we had chicken and dumplings just to mention a few meals. I like most Filipino food but prefer my family's home cooking from US . Thanks Rich 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Any time I'm bunged up I find a trip to Jollibee sorts me out straight away.I think it's all the fibre in their beefburgers. :1927_:

• Haha 3