Digital Multimeter

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, KurtVD said:

As far as I know, if you live closer to a power plant (or a distribution point), you'll always have higher voltage at your house than 220/230 (or 110), so that's not unique to the Philippines. The farther away you go, the more it will drop. If they wouldn't start with higher voltage current, it would drop too much (or the distances would have to be much shorter), so I think any electric appliance should be able to withstand some variation. The problem is probably more pronounced on 110V networks, since 10V more (or less) make up double the percentage (but that's just a guess of mine). 

We are fairly close to the Subic Bay power plant.  Probably 3-4 km as the crow flys.

2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The old analogue meters give you a truer reading ,you don't get what is called a false neutral with an analogue

Treat all multi meters as indication only their accuracy is not great 

I pay about £400.00 GB pounds for a fluke ,I then pay a further £75.00 GB pounds to have it calibrated

My most expensive multi tester costs around £1500.00 GB pounds ,that one is used for certifying electrical circuits and I have to have it calibrated on an annual test 

If I could get away with a 100 peso Chinese multimeter I'd buy it for the savings

If your meter has not been calibrated and has a current certificate ,then the readings at best are tough guides

I looked up the Flukes and see that you can get them here, on Lazada and such.  I think the one the power company guys had today must have been a fluke as it was yellow and looked like this:

https://www.myflukestore.com/product/fluke-902-fc-true-rms-wireless-hvac-clamp-meter

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I looked up the Flukes and see that you can get them here, on Lazada and such.  I think the one the power company guys had today must have been a fluke as it was yellow and looked like this:

https://www.myflukestore.com/product/fluke-902-fc-true-rms-wireless-hvac-clamp-meter

There are a number of knock offs of various Fluke meters, some ok... some not so ok.

https://iprice.ph/fluke/

You'd need a true RMS meter (calibrated) to get a reasonably accurate indication IMHO.

Edited by GeoffH

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Should the power company address this high voltage issue?

Contact the power company and they should adjust the power if required.  At least it worked for us.  After two VCRs quit working I tested our voltage.  I have an analog volt meter and my meter showed our voltage at 257.   When we contacted the local power company they sent out a crew the same day.  Their digital meter showed the voltage as 254.  They adjusted the voltage to 243.  The technician explained that they like to leave it slightly high to allow for small drops.  Since the adjustment we have not had any electronic items stop working.  I hope i did not just jinx myself. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I had no idea what was comming next when he said to hold this lead on the bare connecting end while he proceeded to pull the start rope

And it was then that you decided to become an "electrical lineman"?

:hystery:

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, OnMyWay said:

I have a feeling I will be looking for one.  Are you speaking of your house here in the Philippines?  What type do you have?

Yes on Negros Island, Transformer 15 k 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

Yes on Negros Island, Transformer 15 k 

I’m curious about that could you please provide more information?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2018 at 5:08 PM, GeoffH said:

That may well be the case with bulbs you have now but there are bulbs sold on Lazada rated for use between 220V and 240V which should be a better match for your needs (they might be available at your local hardware store also).

I happened into our local Handyman this evening and noticed an LED brand Eurolux on sale for 20% off, and the box said "Wide Range Voltage", which caught my eye.  Closer inspection shows that they are rated from 185-265 volts 50/60 hz.  Made in China, of course.

I bought three 5 watt bulbs to give them a try in a kitchen ceiling fixture.  On sale, they were only 88 p each.  Maybe I will switch to these LED as others go bad.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Maybe I will switch to these LED as others go bad.

As you may know Don, all LED's are direct current devices.  They only accept DC voltages (5, 12, 24VDC).  Meaning each LED bulb or even a string of LED's has a mini power supply that converts that incoming AC.  In most cases, these P/S can't handle severe fluctuation (or too much) incoming AC.  They get overworked and short out when they over heat.  

LED bulb.PNG  Interior of LED bulb.PNG

PS for LED bulb.PNG LED schematic.PNG

Most probable cause of pre-mature failure is that electrolytic capacitor (that brown one, C-1) blew its top off.  Same thing on blacked out computer flat screens.  One or more caps are "pregnant"......he, he.  

pregnant caps.PNG

So I think your choice of "wide range voltage" is just a better, more robust power supply.  Good luck!  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2018 at 10:45 PM, Old55 said:

I’m curious about that could you please provide more information?

I got the Transformer from Polaris in Dumaguete, it's 15 kVA that's all I know about them. I waited months for Noreco to connect to the pole and power lines. I had to buy some metal poles and get an electrician to put the poles up then Noreco connected to a primary line and the Transformer steps it down to the required voltage going into my house.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2