Digital Multimeter

Capa
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, GeoffH said:

DMMs are not even close to the quality that they used to be 20 years ago in most cases, but then cheap chinese made ones are much more affordable than they used to be... so swings and roundabouts as the saying goes.   The accuracy of some of the cheaper chinese made DMMs is... questionable, I'd be inclined to believe your analog meter before your new digital one, but YMMV.

It is best to have 2 DMMs, so you can double check any readings. If the readings agree, it is spot on. Fluke is good, but very overpriced, and no longer made in USA. Made in China. You cant go wrong with meters by these manufacturers, in my experience: Sanwa, Hioki, Kyoritsu, Uni-T, and Pro's Kit. There are other good multimeter manufacturers out there, but I don't have direct experience with them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
BilHonan
Posted
Posted

Hi...as i have observed many include voltage drop. Low volt settings on DMM to see if components are bad, but still work. Like switches, relays or lengths of wire. Testing voltage from one end of wire or across a switch or fuse to the other should give minimal drop. This causes havoc in newer cars where 3/10v or more will give you big problems. Lose 1v and you can toss the part. If a car batteries when cranking fall below 10v.

Capa
Posted
Posted

True that, when you are working with 12 volts, 3/10 of a volt drop is significant. I like the Tesla cars that work with hundreds of volts!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/7/2018 at 9:52 PM, OnMyWay said:

I happened into our local Handyman this evening and noticed an LED brand Eurolux on sale for 20% off, and the box said "Wide Range Voltage", which caught my eye.  Closer inspection shows that they are rated from 185-265 volts 50/60 hz.  Made in China, of course.

I bought three 5 watt bulbs to give them a try in a kitchen ceiling fixture.  On sale, they were only 88 p each.  Maybe I will switch to these LED as others go bad.

I had 4 bulbs in my recessed ceiling lights go out in about 10 days!  3 were older LEDs and one was a fairly new Philips CFL that I was using to replace the LED.  So I went out and bought more of the Eurolux Wide Range LED 185-265.  I'm going to track the dates this time and see how long these last.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:40 PM, Jake said:

Most probable cause of pre-mature failure is that electrolytic capacitor (that brown one, C-1) blew its top off.  Same thing on blacked out computer flat screens.  One or more caps are "pregnant"......he, he.  

Jake, I tried to get into one of the old LED to take a look, and I couldn't get lower section off.  I think I would have to use a hacksaw or Dremel tool to get it off.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

LED light can produce quite a lot of heat so if in a ceiling void could fail prematurely.

• 2 months later...
Seth
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2018 at 4:37 PM, Gary D said:

LED light can produce quite a lot of heat so if in a ceiling void could fail prematurely.

They get so hot I've had wires melt.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2018 at 3:37 AM, Gary D said:

Are you talking LED or Halogen? Halogen are extremely hot and can easily start fires. I thought LED, being much more efficient, generated less waste heat for the amount of lumens.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Led,s can save a lot of electricity ,I've replaced a lot of 50w and 30w halogen bulbs with Led,s that use either 3w or 5w , I'm still not 100% sold on the longevity of led,s I've had led,s fail after 12 months , it is more cost effective to replace a 600mm x600mm light fitting with a 600 x600 led fitting , the old fluoresent light fittings had 4 tubes and an electronic ballast , the cost of replacing the ballast is greater than the cost of a brand new led panel ,they also save a lot of electricity as they generate far more light and therefore require fewer light fittings to achieve the minimum lumens readings in an office 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Led,s can save a lot of electricity

I just stick with what works best and never go for these modern things such as LED.

lamp.jpg

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
Captain
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I just stick with what works best and never go for these modern things such as LED.

lamp.jpg

Those are some nice lanterns, where can I purchase some like that? I would paint them plaid, tho.